Future of DP?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Future of DP?

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

terrybritton wrote: PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :brucelee: :banghead: :smash: :cry: :surrender:
--------
I hope their culture is changing, but who can know?
It's not changing, they said no more dead software, so they started killing off "old" hardware instead.

I'm not trying to panic you, hopefully they stick with Komplete Kontrol and keep up drivers for the S series. I just don't see anything they make as an investment that you can count on functioning 10 years from now except Kontakt, and that's only if there isn't some new sampler that comes along and wrecks it like Kontakt did to Gigasampler. They are purely $$ driven, there's a huge amount of great work put into their tools for sure, but they don't out of loyalty put extra work into keeping up hardware or software that isn't making money anymore for them. Hopefully the basic MIDI functionality of the s88 is class compliant. I use a dreaded POS M-Audio ProKeys88 because it is, and it still functions as it should.

It's the huge let down of software and computer related hardware in a nutshell, that it's not meant to last, unless you freeze your OS and plug ins at a certain point and never change. The march towards the latest greatest will render them obsolete.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Perhaps now that MOTU is finally updating it’s time stretch, (something many of us have asked for for years now), a MIDI modernization will be next.
For example, no BYPASS on realtime MIDI filters, nor automation for the MIDI effects?
Does MOTU think all swing % is the same in any given song , throughout the whole song?
And why is swing % a universal setting? Do all one’s songs, for any given producer, have the same song %? ...No!
Swing % should be stored with each song, as well as many other types of settings that go global when they should be song-specific.
Small improvement to long standing, short sited programming is the least MOTU could do for MIDI.
New ways to automation CC data with sliders is also HUGE.
All the automation and control we have for audio, is needed for MIDI controllers in todays VI world, a world that did NOT exist when MOTU last updated DP MIDI.
This is a travesty. VIs and the needs for fine control of CC data has moved forward at least 10 years ahead of where DP’s capabilities stand.
We need full mix boards, with assignable CC parameters to control CC 1- 99+.....

But I am hopeful that, sooner or later, MOTU gets the message, as they have with time stretch.
DP also needs to become more relevant to younger users by either incorporating loop based feature like Ableton, or launching entirely new ad campaigns for great features it already has in POLAR. I have argued many a time for entire ad campaigns to show off various features of DP, one at a time. DP is very rich under the hood. But if no one knows about it, then the chance of MOTU going out of business is much higher.
DP being left out of so many 3rd party lists of “supported daws” is a sign of a lack of focus in it's advertising. MOTU focus 95% more promotion attention on its audio interfaces compared to DP.
Who knows, maybe it makes so much money of its interfaces, it has decided to finance DP off of them, and doesn't need to sell DP too much to stay in business? It sure is strange how few ads for DP I have seen over the years.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Michael Canavan wrote:
terrybritton wrote: PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :brucelee: :banghead: :smash: :cry: :surrender:
--------
I hope their culture is changing, but who can know?
It's not changing, they said no more dead software, so they started killing off "old" hardware instead.

I'm not trying to panic you, hopefully they stick with Komplete Kontrol and keep up drivers for the S series. I just don't see anything they make as an investment that you can count on functioning 10 years from now except Kontakt, and that's only if there isn't some new sampler that comes along and wrecks it like Kontakt did to Gigasampler. They are purely $$ driven, there's a huge amount of great work put into their tools for sure, but they don't out of loyalty put extra work into keeping up hardware or software that isn't making money anymore for them. Hopefully the basic MIDI functionality of the s88 is class compliant. I use a dreaded POS M-Audio ProKeys88 because it is, and it still functions as it should.

It's the huge let down of software and computer related hardware in a nutshell, that it's not meant to last, unless you freeze your OS and plug ins at a certain point and never change. The march towards the latest greatest will render them obsolete.
Well, one factor that likely is bound to force a change in their culture and long-range planning is the NKS thing - they stand to lose a lot of face if they screw over all those manufacturers who "paid the big bucks" to have NKS support to their plugins. I think that may have a stabilizing factor in the longevity of these recent hardware devices. They will not want to piss off all the people whom they want to adopt NKS as a new standard. That was one of my reasoning points when deciding on this keyboard.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

toodamnhip wrote:Perhaps now that MOTU is finally updating it’s time stretch, (something many of us have asked for for years now), a MIDI modernization will be next.
For example, no BYPASS on realtime MIDI filters, nor automation for the MIDI effects?
Does MOTU think all swing % is the same in any given song , throughout the whole song?
And why is swing % a universal setting? Do all one’s songs, for any given producer, have the same song %? ...No!
Swing % should be stored with each song, as well as many other types of settings that go globa when they should be song-specific.
Small improvement to long standing, short sited programming is the least MOTU could do for MIDI.
New ways to automation CC data with sliders is also HUGE.
All the automation and control we have for audio, is needed for MIDI controllers in todays VI world, a world that did NOT exist when MOTU last updated DP MIDI.
This is a travesty. VIs and the needs for fine control of CC data has moved forward at least 10 years ahead of where DP’s capabilities stand.
We need full mix boards, with assignable CC parameters to control CC 1- 99+.....

But I am hopeful that, sooner or later, MOTU gets the message, as they have with time stretch.
DP also needs to become more relevant to younger users by either incorporating loop based feature like Ableton, or launching entirely new ad campaigns for great features it already has in POLAR. I have argued many a time for entire ad campaigns to show off various features of DP, one at a time. DP is very rich under the hood. But if no one knows about it, then the chance of MOTU going out of business is much higher.
DP being left out of so many 3rd party lists of “supported daws” i a sign of lack of focus in it;s advertising. MOTU focus 95% more promotion attention on its audio interfaces compared to DP.
Who knows, maybe it makes so much money of its interfaces it had decided to finance DP off of them, and does;t need to sell DP too much? It sure is strange how few ads for DP I have seen over the years.
Heh... don't get us started, right?? :wink:

Yes, MIDI needs to be brought into the modern age in DP.

I agree Polar deserves more credit.

And, man, would I love to see more DP9 ads also. They buy the back page of Electronic Musician (now Keyboard is merged into that) every month for their hardware stuff. At least Sweetwater mentions DP9 in most of its MOTU-focused two-page spreads.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

terrybritton wrote:At least Sweetwater mentions DP9 in most of its MOTU-focused two-page spreads.
No credit to Sweetwater: those catalog spreads are ads paid for by the company in question. MOTU pays Sweetwater to run those, and the only alteration Sweetwater does is sticking their logo in a safe corner. So you can credit MOTU with promoting DP in those catalogs.

BTW, does a catalog even make sense anymore? Is this where you learn about new products, make decisions about gear, and so on? Hell, no, everybody does that on the Internet now. When my copy of Sweetnotes shows up (along with B&H, AMS, even my favorites at Full Compass) it goes straight into the recycling bin, unread.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I would say it's unlikely to survive. It will be superseded by Mental Performer, when MOTU taps into advancing AI techniques to release the world's first direct-thought-to-audio app.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

mhschmieder wrote:I would say it's unlikely to survive. It will be superseded by Mental Performer, when MOTU taps into advancing AI techniques to release the world's first direct-thought-to-audio app.
That's what I was trying to say! :)

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

James Steele
Site Administrator

Future of DP?

Post by James Steele »

For what it's worth, I changed the title of this topic. It was really bothering me. "Will (our favorite DAW) survive?" frames the topic negatively before a discussion has even begun. It sets the tone as if there's evidence to suggest that it's even in question and there is none. It's borderline defamatory. Imagine you ran a business that's doing fine and someone starts a topic somewhere "Is XZY going out of business?" I guess that's good for driving a stock price down so you can buy cheap, but I just can't let this board be a party to it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You did good, James.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

May I say best DP support lays where music is?
Let's stay creative musicians and enjoy DP as a great tool!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I agree, James. You did the right thing. I didn't even participate in the thread until something out of the blue came to me as a bit of levity.

When I see my company trashed on GS (frequent, but I don't read much of GS anymore except guitars and new products), I alert our sales and marketing department so they can find a diplomatic way to address the lies.

And yes, there can be different opinions, but I am talking about ill-intended defamation that can truly have serious consequences.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mhschmieder wrote:I didn't even participate in the thread until something out of the blue came to me as a bit of levity.
Funny how that works. Pun intended, but not to the point of lessoning the intrinsic value of humor, which is, of course, to reveal a deeper meaning. In that sense, it is much like music and other art forms and not just worthless noise and clutter.

Duh!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Pappy725

Post by Pappy725 »

James, If you put a like button on each post there would be a lot less posts in these threads. Yeah, I know, more work for the same pay! But some of these guys are hilarious and I'd just like to let them know without bloating the thread... Still, this is the best group on the internet, hands or pants down!! :rofl: :deadhorse:

Thank you for your support...

Carry on, nothing to see here.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.2, DP8.07, 256GB SSD
828mkII, 8Pre, Alesis M1 Active Mk2, Ext. FW drives, Yamaha fretless bass, Kay upright bass, Wechter acoustic/electric, trombone, baritone and a proclivity for polka music. (With sufficient quantities of beer) and I play country music.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Pappy725 wrote:James, If you put a like button on each post there would be a lot less posts in these threads.
That's a function of the board software. I don't have the ability to add that.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!