When you send files to clients... PLEASE. Just 1 zip file!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

When you send files to clients... PLEASE. Just 1 zip file!

Post by FMiguelez »

I don't understand why somebody would send an email with 45 separate pdf files to download. Independently...

I have to click on each, wait for the browser to load Microsoft´s Onedrive something, and download one by one.
I can command-click many fast, but each will open its own window... And each window takes an eternity to load.

Wouldn't it have been easier, more efficient, more considerate of my time, and more professional, to simply send me ONE ZIP FILE with all the orchestral pdf parts in it?
I mean, it would've been so much easier for the copyist himself as well!
:shake:
:smash:
:brucelee:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Re: When you send files to clients... PLEASE. Just 1 zip fil

Post by bayswater »

I used to get pictures from relatives on OneDrive and had the same thought initially. But I figured out how to select and download multiples files. It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what I did, but this appears on the OneDrive support page:

"If you select multiple files or folders and then select Download, your browser will start downloading a .zip file containing all the files and folders you selected. If you're in a folder and you select Download without selecting any files or folders, your browser will begin downloading all contents of the folder."
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

In such instances (which admittedly are rare) I would simply send the bonehead a note saying to please zip the data or you will be forced to expend additional time (which you will bill them for) if you have to download each file individually.

Bottom line: You cost me time, I cost you money. They will quickly learn not to pee on the rug.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Well, I have to admit that the copyist turned out to be excellent!
Immaculate, clear, error-free score, beautiful looking, perfect parts...

Based on the delivery, I was expecting the worst, but this guy is as good as I ever was back in my college days (and I was really good at that).

I have to fire up Finale sometime and see if I still remember how to play a note... I haven't used it seriously for ages. My notation chops are so rusty now :(
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Wait... you are paying him? Then by all means, ask for the PDFs to be zipped! You have even more leverage if you are shelling out the $$$.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Wait... you are paying him? Then by all means, ask for the PDFs to be zipped! You have even more leverage if you are shelling out the $$$.
Ha!
No, I'm not paying him.
A famous arranger hired me for programming the orchestra and producing this project.

When he sent me his hand-written score, old school, and I realized I couldn't read it (unless I spent hours deciphering it), I asked him if we could do something about it... So he hired this copyist, and he had to deal with his undecipherable hand-written score, thankfully.

I really dodged a bullet there. Now I can work fast and efficiently :)

Other than the delivery issue, I'm really enjoying working on this now. The score and parts are very well done, so I can concentrate 100% on programming with 0 issues.

I forgive him now for sending the parts like that. But only because he's very good.

Next time I do similar work, I already know what things to mind and ask for from the beginning.

MIDI Life Crisis

You know you can convert the PDFs to TIFFs and import them into Finale? Then XML them over to DP and save yourself a boatload of time inputting notes.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You know you can convert the PDFs to TIFFs and import them into Finale? Then XML them over to DP and save yourself a boatload of time inputting notes.
I remember reading that, but it didn't click until now....

I might do a couple more gigs like this, and that tip seems really awesome, Mike! 8)
Thanks. I'll try it, but I do have some concerns about this workflow. I will pick your brain later, if y don't mind :)

I've been meaning to ask you something>
What new and important features have been added to Finale since say, 2000?
I have what I thnk is version 2012.
I ask because I remember doing very complex scores with ease, including cut out scores alla Stravinsky. And that was almost 2 decades ago... Have there been real improvements since then? I'm not really interested in its VIs or quality of sounds. I already have the best of them.

Most of what I've read from Finale in the last several years seems to be negative, as if they have been taking steps backwards. Last I heard, they did something really stupid about how they handle video that I heard you loved...