The Abandonment of DP Control

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Abandonment of DP Control

Post by James Steele »

Of all the gripes one might have with MOTU, this issue is the one I understand least and irritates me most. I've heard rumor that Apple won't approve the updated app. Don't know if that's true. Seems like if Apple approved it initially, what is the problem?

DP Control was an ideal solution for remote control of DP. Why let it die? I can understand why Unisyn was allowed to whither away, but not DP Control. How long did it actually work? It was nice knowing it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: The Abandonment of DP Control

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Bummer! It kind of sucks that one needs Apple's approval for such things. I know little to nothing (more of the latter) about programming and getting something to load on un un-jailbroken device, but it would be nice if MOTU and other developers would be able to get their apps on the iPhone w/o asking Big Brother for their stamp of approval.

I didn't use the control app much, but when I did I was thrilled by it's accuracy and responsiveness. I hope that gets rectified by Apple. I've seen other good apps go the same way, and in the case of a one off developer selling their app on the Apple site it one thing. Yeah, you're sort of on your own, but companies like MOTU sell products that sell Apple computers (or at least used to) and you'd think they would want to support those efforts. Then again, Apple also sells a competing product. Does Logic have a remote control app? If so, then possibly Apple is blocking MOTU to have that slight edge on the competition. And what about those other DAWs? Do THEY have remote apps for the iPhone/iPad?

If I cared about those others one iota I'd go check, but I'm a one-DAW man and if I have to do w/o a man remote app to use DP, so be it. Nothing else comes close. Not my opinion. That is a fact!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

The last update of DP Control for iOS was Sep 24, 2010, version 1.02. That's an eternity in iOS years.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

It is a bummer but I'll throw this out again:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daw-con ... 25383?mt=8

I think James had a problem with having the transport controls active with someone being asked to mix. I'll point out that the controls and labels are completely customizable. If anyone's interested, the details are here (some of my image links disappeared):

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60593&hilit=daw+control&start=15
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

While I know that you're not asking for alternatives, http://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-control works with DP and offers more control than DP control.

It'd be great if Motu could get their act together on it though. A bunch of other DAWs have a cool control app that works :(
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

I agree that it is pretty disappointing.
Raised this years ago with MOTU and I was unimpressed with their response.

I know that this isn't a thread looking for alternatives, but there is Touch Osc, and this that I posted in another thread:

- - - - -
Just came across this app for controlling Macs via an iPad.
Dunno if it is good, bad, or otherwise.
Caveat emptor.
http://www.quadro.me
- - - - -
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

BKK-OZ wrote:I agree that it is pretty disappointing.
Raised this years ago with MOTU and I was unimpressed with their response.

I know that this isn't a thread looking for alternatives, but there is Touch Osc, and this that I posted in another thread:

- - - - -
Just came across this app for controlling Macs via an iPad.
Dunno if it is good, bad, or otherwise.
Caveat emptor.
http://www.quadro.me
- - - - -
I wrote an article for the Cantabile crowd that details the controls from three of the basic layouts TouchOSC comes with out of the box. If interested, check it out here:
http://community.cantabilesoftware.com/ ... bridge/570

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

So, MOTU has written an update but Apple won't approve it?

I score games for a lot of iOS developers, and know a few reasons why Apple would fail to approve (and all you have to do is change the offending code and resubmit). With this app, it's not going to be a content problem... it's more likely that there is code in the app that might allow exploration of the device.

The reason Apple won't put things on the iTunes store without reviewing them can easily be seen on the supposedly-superior-because-it's-"open" Android platform. Malware and spyware run rampant, incredibly offensive content gets posted, games and apps that only run on one version of the Android hardware are everywhere. It's a customer service nightmare.

I much prefer Apple doing their best to make sure that nobody is selling me buggy, pirated shovelware that exists to screw up my mobile devices.

Anyway, don't blame Apple. They tell you why it was rejected, and all you have to do is fix it. Which MOTU should be able to do easily.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:So, MOTU has written an update but Apple won't approve it?
I do NOT know anything of the kind. I'd heard a vague rumor, but it doesn't seem very plausible to me.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!