Ha! My new unused computer that I killed came back to life!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ha! My new unused computer that I killed came back to life!

Post by FMiguelez »

If you do not know what you're doing, DO NOT attempt to replace the guts of your computer... Even if you follow an instructional video...

So, a few years ago, I bought 2 Mac Minis Server. I also got extra RAM and fast HDs and a couple of SSDs for their systems from OWC.
When I saw the video to replace the parts, I thought it looked easy and it was something I could do. And I was really anxious to finally use them and incorporate them in my setup.
Turns out, it was one of those vids where the presenter really knew what he was doing, and he made it look easier than it was...

So I started with the first computer. I started unscrewing stuff all over the place, but as I attempted to take the motherboard off, I realized I was out of my depth with my clumsy hands... Then I heard a distinct ”clack" sound. Damn it! A wire attached to the motherboard got the connector broken and off the MB! Sheit! Good bye power source!

And then, when I finally could take out the mother board, I accidentally pulled it too hard and broke ANOTHER cable! This time it was the one connected to the fan. At this point, I was almost in tears with one of my brand-new-unused computers completely broken and dead in the OR.
I did manage to put the RAM and its disk replacements and to put it back together... Except for a copule of screws that I suddenly had as "extra" in front of me ... :shake:
Needless to say, it did not power up. Great! Thousands of pesos wasted for nothing!

I didn't dare trying the same on the othe computer. I hired a Pro, with the right tools, to do it for me. But he told me that the computer I opened was ruined. Brand-new ruined with a voided warranty. Nobody, not even the insurance company, wanted to touch it.

Well, yesterday night a friend told me he'd "look at it". He took it, soldered to the motherboard the broken pieces, and, almost miraculously, against all odds, now it works! :D
It came back from the dead years later. So it feels like I have a brand-new computer for free!

Since I already have enough slaves at the studio, I decided to simply clone my master computer's system and use this one in a home-rig, where I'll be able to compose (not mix) from home, so I can spend more time with the wife and animal "kids".

I'm extremelly happy!

But seriously. Don't do those things unless you're graceful with your hands. Those vids look easier than what they actually are. You also need to be very patient (not one of my characteristic traits) and have small hands to operate in such a small and cluttered space.

:deadhorse:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Ha! My new unused computer that I killed came back to li

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

My first experience like that was with an Epson printer that stopped working. I was about to pitch it when I thought, why not tear it down to see how it works? I did, and in the process fixed it. Duh!

But a printer is not as complex and tightly constructed as a modern computer is. But when my wife's MacBook died, (and after seeing how easy it is to replace RAM, airport cards, etc) I decided to take the plunge again and tear it down. Many hours later it was working again and did until some kid stole it from her classroom! Grrrrrr!

The same goes for my keyboards and other electronics. I can generally get them functional again simply by opening them up and playing with their entrails. I suppose part of it comes form having been a piano tuner technician in my past life. A BIG part of it also comes from having the right tools and knowing the right procedures to follow - just like composing. ;) So I am not surprised that your creative mind found a solution, even if it did require the kindness of strangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSTd1LuiVUs
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:...You also need to be very patient (not one of my characteristic traits) and have small hands to operate in such a small and cluttered space...
...and good eyesight. Back in my 20/20 days I used to do clock and watch repair. Nowadays, I need my glasses just to tell the time. :shock:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Phil O wrote: I need my glasses just to tell the time. :shock:
You have time? I'm jealous... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS