Feature Request - Instant Track Copy SOLVED!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Feature Request - Instant Track Copy SOLVED!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I would be really cool if when we are in the TRACK OVERVIEW window we could grab a soundbite or MIDI block and drag it into the empty area below the bottom track and have it create a new track with that data that also inherits the track settings, plug ins, etc. A few video programs I use do that and it's a real time saver.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Re: Feature Request - Instant Track Copy

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a clever idea. I use duplicate track and add similar all the time, with similar results in mind.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

I'd like to take credit for it, but it's standard in those video apps. I even places them by snapping to the original timestamp. No biggy, but with more complex sequences it comes in handy.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I would be really cool if when we are in the TRACK OVERVIEW window we could grab a soundbite or MIDI block and drag it into the empty area below the bottom track and have it create a new track with that data that also inherits the track settings, plug ins, etc. A few video programs I use do that and it's a real time saver.

I'm curious, are you talking about soundbites or MIDI blocks that are not currently in the project you're working on? or are you talking about dragging a section of an existing track and having it create a duplicate track? i.e. not having to duplicate the track, then cut out all the soundbite or MIDI date you aren't using?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Just what is in the project. Kind off like selecting and dragging with the option key in most any Mac program.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP sort of does do this.

Select something in the Track Window, hold down the Option key and drag to the bottom of the track list. BUT: drag it to the left first so it is over the track list, then drag down to the bottom -- don't drag down and then to the left. With a MIDI and audio selection it creates a track with the data, although it puts the copy at the start of the sequence. The in and out settings were copied but plugins etc are not.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Feature Request - Instant Track Copy SOLVED!

You are, in fact, correct sir. Thank you! That is really awesome.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

OK what I'm not getting maybe is why not just copy/duplicate the track, erase the MIDI or audio in the new track, then drag the audio MIDI that you wanted moved to a new track into the new track? That keeps all the plug in, sends everything.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Michael Canavan wrote:OK what I'm not getting maybe is why not just copy/duplicate the track, erase the MIDI or audio in the new track, then drag the audio MIDI that you wanted moved to a new track into the new track? That keeps all the plug in, sends everything.
Well, you could do that. It's several steps whereas it can be done in one mouse or trackpad swipe. I'm good with that. 8)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:OK what I'm not getting maybe is why not just copy/duplicate the track, erase the MIDI or audio in the new track, then drag the audio MIDI that you wanted moved to a new track into the new track? That keeps all the plug in, sends everything.
Well, you could do that. It's several steps whereas it can be done in one mouse or trackpad swipe. I'm good with that. 8)
Sure, but it's three steps; duplicate; erase; drag, and the plug ins are copied as well. You wanted them right?
that also inherits the track settings, plug ins, etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

True. My feature request is more like a hat I ended up doing. Duplicate track layout and copy and paste. The audio tracks plugs ins have to be reset. 6 of one; half a dozen of another.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS