MOTU's ridiculously good out-of-warranty repair program!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
DcSoundOp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU's ridiculously good out-of-warranty repair program!

Post by DcSoundOp »

I learned a valuable lesson recently in trying to repair my ~10 year old 896mk3 - call MOTU first! Details and the rest of the story are in the video!

https://youtu.be/7YtAt49W0qU
stubbsonic

Re: MOTU's ridiculously good out-of-warranty repair program!

Post by stubbsonic »

One of the great qualities of MOTU!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

10 years—you have one of the first ones. I have one of the last 828mkII, also 10 years old.

For units still in production and those for which MOTU still has parts, that's a really good program.

Unfortunately, most older models, such as my 828mkII, are no longer eligible for this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I deal with a lot of companies in this regard (as do most of us, I suspect) and agree., MOTU is the best!

Long live the horn!

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I just had my 828mk3 replaced.
They even went out of their way to ship it via post so I didn't have to deal with the UPS cross board nightmare.
Thanx MOTU.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
erickorbly

Post by erickorbly »

Sorry, MOTU is no longer “the best.”
The “best” would at least facilitate their customers getting repairs on models that aren’t serviced anymore.
Back in the day Lorne was there & there was more of a can help you attitude.
MOTU had a reputation for quiet pro quality hardware & great tech support at a fair price. The prices are still OK as far as I can see.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This is more about discussion about MOTU's company policy, so it sort of goes in the OT forum... even if it is positive. :) Moved.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

erickorbly wrote:Sorry, MOTU is no longer “the best.”
The “best” would at least facilitate their customers getting repairs on models that aren’t serviced anymore.
Name a high tech company that does this.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:
erickorbly wrote:Sorry, MOTU is no longer “the best.”
Name a high tech company that does this.
Apple, for one. That company creates service manuals for its products, so third-parties can effect repairs. For example, I have a .pdf version of the service guide for my 4,1 Mac Pros. Assuming parts are available (cannibalization of other used units will always be an option), I can theoretically make my Mac Pros last forever. One can reasonably assume MOTU has in-house reference materials that could assist those wishing to attempt to resurrect ancient pieces of hardware.

On the other hand, MOTU's approach ($99 flat rate exchange for products that are out of warranty yet within the MOTU-determined repair window) is a level of service far beyond that of any other company of which am aware. And there certainly comes a time when replacement of a failed piece of gear with a more current equivalent makes more sense than replacing it.

It is more than likely that only a very small percentage of consumers of MOTU gear find the company's policy problematic. Many of those will just take an ancient failed unit apart and try figure out how to fix it, and many of those will succeed. One can always buy a used unit from eBay or other sources, which will facilitate a parts swap. Any piece of gear that is so old MOTU no longer offers its replacement service will likely be very inexpensive to purchase used.
erickorbly

Post by erickorbly »

Bam! Apple does just that. I’ll admit that Apple doesn’t always have old products available but they don’t make it impossible to gain knowledge either.

-Examples of taking care of discontinued products-
Audio Technica: my wireless transmitter isn’t turning on. My wireless is 3 years older than my MOTU’s & unlike the interfaces I’ve brought my wireless to a 100 shows, & used it when practicing daily for years. Rather quickly I made contact with AT who said repairs or if not a replacement. Another company that does AT repairs sold me a $5 part that is likely the solution ... very helpful.

Digitech: guitar floor pedals from the 90’s ... last time not only they pass along service center recommendation to me but they sold me parts, they’ve way cool.

You’d think MOTU would take enough pride in their work that a FireWire port isn’t going to trash what would likely be a good customer.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

FWIW, I've watched this forum for MANY years, and complaints like yours are quite rare.

I'm not completely invalidating your experience. It sounds like your gear needed repair and you hit a snag that was indeed frustrating.

This particular thread is about the out-of-warranty program. Is that not an option for you?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

erickorbly wrote:You’d think MOTU would take enough pride in their work that a FireWire port isn’t going to trash what would likely be a good customer.
Although you have taken the time to trash MOTU repeatedly, you have yet to specify exactly what the problem is. Why is this? Will complaining magically fix your gear?

Based on your words to date, sounds like you have a physically busted Firewire port. So replace it already. It's not rocket science.

Look for a similar part at DigiKey or Mouser. Likely about $0.50 plus $6.00 shipping. If you can't do the replacement yourself, find a tech who can solder (hint: most are pretty good with ye old soldering iron). Or buy a used 896 from EBay. You might pay a little more than what you'd pay the tech to fix your current unit, but you'll have a repository of spare parts to address any future issues.

EDIT: so, just saw one of the several other threads in which you have posted re: this issue; it appears Firewire chips may have failed in your units (although I don't think you have ever specifically stated as such). Now you have the part number. I wonder if you'll be able to find the part... if not, wouldn't that support MOTU's position as reasonable? They don't manufacture the components that their interfaces are built from. Maybe they just ran out of parts. Also, it is interesting that another MOTU user was able to get the information from MOTU. Perhaps that person's approach was less inflammatory. Just sayin'.

I would like to offer two suggestions for future posts:

1) Don't spread your question over multiple threads. It causes confusion.

2) Provide details when you have a question or concern. Few here at MOTUNation are mind readers.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

HCMarkus wrote: Look for a similar part at DigiKey or Mouser.
Hey Mr. HCMarkus thanks for posting these I can never get enough electronic supply places :)
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Now you have the part number. I wonder if you'll be able to find the part...
Mouser has 276, I think. One costs less than $7 plus whatever they charge for shipping—took me about 10 seconds to find it.

Likewise, the port is a common part. I don't have the part number, though. The other components that like to fail with age are power supply caps, the screen and I've heard of a resistor or two going south. Again, all stock parts. If you don't like the screen color, you can change it.

There are proprietary chips in these things but I never hear of those going bad.
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

mikehalloran wrote:10 years—you have one of the first ones. I have one of the last 828mkII, also 10 years old.

For units still in production and those for which MOTU still has parts, that's a really good program.

Unfortunately, most older models, such as my 828mkII, are no longer eligible for this.
Crap. Really? That's a bummer. I have an 828mkII I got in 2005. Still running (and I use it on stage) although one of the preamp inputs started making a noise in the last year. Still, this thing has been the most reliable piece of gear I've bought. Ever.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11