Ethno World 6 released -- huge upgrade and expansion

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ethno World 6 released -- huge upgrade and expansion

Post by mhschmieder »

https://www.bestservice.de/en/ethno_wor ... plete.html

http://www.timespace.com/product/produc ... dium=email

I'll be doing the upgrade later today, as soon as I have time to go through coupons and vouchers to decide which vendor will work out the best for me.

I haven't gone through the full "additions" list yet for new instruments and voices, but the changes to the Kontakt programming itself are welcome, even though I was quite happy with the old interface -- mostly it was just a bit time-consuming to sift through so many variations in the search list itself. But the new features may make it compete with Eduardo Tarilonte's stuff for ENGINE.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: Ethno World 6 released -- huge upgrade and expansion

Post by mhschmieder »

Just about finished with the download and installation of EW6.

I got it from Time+Space due to an about-to-expire coupon, bought in Sterling so that VAT is subtracted (if you buy in dollars, you pay WAY more, as well as at Best Service).

The upgrade for me came out to about $125. Maybe the Euro exchange rate is more favourable, but Time + Space doesn't offer the same discounts as in Sterling so I don't waste time anymore. I use Sterling at that site and Euros at Best Service.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It will take awhile to annotate the new collection vs. the old, but I have now thoroughly compared the GUI and the features, and it's not quite as big a leap as the marketing hype would have you believe, except that the quality improvement itself is significant.

Mostly things are just rearranged a bit, but they did add EQ, chorus, phasing, and delay to the built-in effects (which previously only contained compression and saturation).

I REALLY like having the database info feature handy though. It's great to have a dedicated page not only describing and showing each instrument and its ethnomusicology categorization and specifics, but to even include playing and articulation hints.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It took me 90 minutes to annotate this collection. I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 of it is new from EW5.

It has a charango, which I have in no other library. That's a big plus right there. Well, I'm not counting the one from Spitfire Labs or the old one from Lyrical Distortion; not the same level of detail.

There are a lot more voices than before, and the huge quantity of alpine instruments has me wondering if it's a cut-down version of Best Service's dedicated alpine library released last year.

Most of the other new instruments are in the strings family, with a few scattered amongst the winds as well. That's a relief, as I'm tired of so much duplication of basic percussive elements.