Winter Storm

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Winter Storm

Post by Phil O »

Hope all you Cornies are doing well. We got 19 inches here but didn't lose power. Temperature is 12° F right now so I'm waiting before I start clearing this mess. Hopefully it will get up into the 20s by early afternoon. Think I'll do some mixing! :wink:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Re: Winter Storm

Post by Robert Randolph »

Phil O wrote:Hope all you Cornies are doing well. We got 19 inches here but didn't lose power. Temperature is 12° F right now so I'm waiting before I start clearing this mess. Hopefully it will get up into the 20s by early afternoon. Think I'll do some mixing! :wink:
I don't know how you people handle that. It's 43°f out right now. I'm in 4 layers, have central heat on, a space heater and I'm working on revising my soon to be pertinent will.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

You guys our east got hammered! The worst of the most recent storm skimmed north of us, so we only got a few inches. We've had about 36" of snow so far, this season. Lost power once this winter, but only for about 6 hours. We have plenty of firewood and a generator, so losing power for a few days isn't too much of an inconvenience. It's been well below 0°F here for over a week, which has made for cozy days with the wood stove roaring in my studio. High temp today will be above zero for the first time in more than a week...break out the shorts!
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
bayswater

Re: Winter Storm - Welcome to WInter

Post by bayswater »

2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Meanwhile, where I am here in the land of Oz, it was ~97f (36c) for the past few days.

Sometimes it seems like the sun is only inches away, as the relentless heat soaks into everything.
Everything becomes hot to touch.
Sleep is almost impossible - the weather forecast for Saturday night used the word 'oppressive' to describe the coming swelter.

I would be happy to accommodate any snow that you deem surplus to your requirements.
:)
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I envy the snow. If one lives in a noisy urban area, a soft blanket provides an acoustical barrier like no other. Almost like an anechoic chamber. Yes, time to mix.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

cuttime wrote:I envy the snow. If one lives in a noisy urban area, a soft blanket provides an acoustical barrier like no other. Almost like an anechoic chamber. Yes, time to mix.
Well said! Love the quiet a new snow brings.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Getting hammered by rain here in Northern California. Makes AT&T internet pretty bad.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Ditto Mike. We are getting drowned in NorCal. 12 inches of rain in a couple of days. The water is running downhill on our street at approximately 30mph, and I'm hearing tales of 12 FEET of snow in the mountains (on top of the 4 or so the already had). Plus, there's an ugly URI virus going around and Lisa and I both caught it.... wiped us out for solid week.

And one of the area's most famous sequoias - the "Prairie Cabin" tree, the one that had a car tunnel cut through it in 1888 - was toppled by the wind. Bummer.

Upside: you probably won't hear the word "drought" this spring.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]