NAMM 2017 DPX?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

NAMM 2017 DPX?

Post by Michael Canavan »

So, it's possible. MOTU filled a recent vacant music application software engineer position according to Linkedin.

Since the typical scenario is announcement at NAMM then 4-9 months before the X.0 release, I don't think it's unlikely that we see a preview of DPX, it's been two years since DP9 was announced.

I suppose I'm early for yanking this chain, but what the heck! Personally I mostly hope for improvements to existing features, productivity enhancements etc. The least likely upgrades for any software. :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: NAMM 2017 DPX?

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:Personally I mostly hope for improvements to existing features, productivity enhancements etc. The least likely upgrades for any software. :lol:
You and me both. I think most of the hardcore user base of ANY DAW would say that more than anything else they'd wish for an efficient, bullet-proof version of their current software. Reliability is selling point #1 to me. But it isn't glamorous and it doesn't attract the kiddies. Which reminds me how non-plussed I was about the arrival of all those guitar stompbox effects in DP. But hey... to each their own. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I would bet the price of a drink that it's a year too early. But what the heck do I know about these things?

Between Windows 10 and the fact that Apple has at least one more OS release in the cycle that began with 10.7 (or 10.8.2 depending on how you count), I hope that we see another DP 9 release before they come to us for another upgrade.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Michael Canavan wrote:So, it's possible. MOTU filled a recent vacant music application software engineer position according to Linkedin.

Since the typical scenario is announcement at NAMM then 4-9 months before the X.0 release, I don't think it's unlikely that we see a preview of DPX, it's been two years since DP9 was announced.

I suppose I'm early for yanking this chain, but what the heck! Personally I mostly hope for improvements to existing features, productivity enhancements etc. The least likely upgrades for any software. :lol:
If they just filled the position, I don't see how they'd be ready to announce anything in a month based on that. Also considering which position was being filled...

I'd imagine a .x version at best.

Honestly, if they announced a paid update at this point, I would be extremely annoyed.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:I would bet the price of a drink that it's a year too early. But what the heck do I know about these things?
I don't know much about it either, but you're probably right.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Robert Randolph wrote: If they just filled the position, I don't see how they'd be ready to announce anything in a month based on that. Also considering which position was being filled...
Anything that they've done for DPX would be in Alpha for a very very long time, longer than that vacancy. I'm not doubting that they might delay DPX because of that position and the problems that creates, but typically MOTU take about 2- 2 1/2 years between version numbers, announcing a new version up to six months before it's released. that's the timeline for DP 9, announced Jan 2015 two years ago.
It's very possible that they do announce DPX then take far longer than normal to release it. Also possible they skip announcing it at all. Hopefully we get a bug fix update out of NAMM at least! :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

As someone in the industry, I can tell you how hard it is to find people who are qualified, have the right attitude and work habits, and work well with others.

I'm the last software engineer left locally, after many years of trials that really opened my eyes to how overpaid a profession software engineering is (I took a HUGE pay cut when I left the computer industry for the audio industry).

I imagine MOTU must face similar challenges regarding salary vs. experience vs. qualifications etc. Especially the latter; one needs to be expert in quite a few areas that are already rare on their own, much less together.

It's the same with the plug-in developers, whether here or in Europe. I see the same positions go unfilled for a year or more. It tempts me to apply myself, except I prefer not to go back to primarily working in C++. If I had free time, I'd even offer to help some of those developers out, in the spirit of Open Software.

One also has to remember that one of DP's competitors is practically across the street from them. I don't think that's true of any of the other main DAW's, but a friend at work has friends who work at Ableton and NI and says people bounce back and forth constantly between those and other music tech firms nearby. But now that DP is multi-platform, it may have helped them recruit more easily.

As for DPX, I'm not ready yet myself, unless it's specifically about stability and the like. I'm putting most of my learning curve time on stuff other than core DAW features at the moment, so don't want distractions in that regard. But maybe they'll have to do DPX soon just to stay "relevant" in this attention deficit disorder plagued world.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

mhschmieder wrote: ...
As for DPX, I'm not ready yet myself, unless it's specifically about stability and the like.
It would be pretty embarrassing for them to release a 10.0 for stability. That' would strictly need to be a .x release.

I won't budge from 8 until I have to.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I just want a mouse that works well under Sierra, but that appears to be primarily an Apple API issue.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I never say never. The announcement of DP9 took most of us by surprise...well, it took me by surprise, anyway. It wouldn't shock me in the least if MOTU does indeed show DPX at NAMM.

DP 9.12's issues are still primarily with other vendors plugs that haven't "caught up". And that's still the reason I am on 9.02. Maybe I always will be, who knows.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Robert Randolph

David Polich wrote: DP 9.12's issues are still primarily with other vendors plugs that haven't "caught up". And that's still the reason I am on 9.02. Maybe I always will be, who knows.
There definitely are issues that have to do with third-party products, but the idea this is the primary issue is not the case overall. Maybe it is for you though, and that's totally understandable.

Things like the performance issues reported by many users I've been able to replicate without third-party plug-ins (and confirmed by motu). Then there's issues with nudge, quantize, bundles, editing during playback and more. None of which rely on third-party products even being installed.

On topic though, I don't think it would be surprising if DP 10 came out. The real surprise is if that was the portal to bugfixes and they charged for it. If they aren't charging for it, then something like 9.2 or 9.5 seems more reasonable.
Michael Canavan

mhschmieder wrote: One also has to remember that one of DP's competitors is practically across the street from them. I don't think that's true of any of the other main DAW's, but a friend at work has friends who work at Ableton and NI and says people bounce back and forth constantly between those and other music tech firms nearby. But now that DP is multi-platform, it may have helped them recruit more easily.
Ableton, NI and Bitwig are all in the same industrial complex in Berlin. I'm pretty sure Steinberg aren't too far away either, Germany isn't any bigger than Washington state for instance. In the Silicon Valley you have Apple-Logic, Cycling 74 etc. Pro Tools was originally from Mountain View CA and there's still an office there, Avid also is located in MA along with Cakewalk. Just saying it's not surprising really, tech companies tend to recruit from other tech companies.

I'm ready for an announcement, since it takes them 6 months to a year to deliver, and they tend to be good about releasing a bug fix update of the current software even if...
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

So many armchair experts... :lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So many armchair experts... :lol:
Until MOTU reps start speaking out here, that's basically what this forum is designed to facilitate though isn't it?
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Robert Randolph wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So many armchair experts... :lol:
Until MOTU reps start speaking out here, that's basically what this forum is designed to facilitate though isn't it?
Is it? I didn't think speculation was the purpose of the forum, but what do I know. I'm only a moderator...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS