Help - Old Mosaic Files

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
seatone2
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Help - Old Mosaic Files

Post by seatone2 »

I have inherited some old MOTU Mosaic (around version 1.4 or 1.5 - MacOS) from my Piano teacher. Cannot find a copy of the app for any amount anywhere. I just want to get the files off of these ancient floppy disks (2 are double sided, 2 are high density). Assuming I can get these exported as MIDI files, but I don't know what I don't know. Willing to pay someone to help me. If there's a better place to post, please let me now. I'm located in Northern CA. I have a friend with an old who is at least going to try to read the floppies and copy the files. Thanks in advance for any help.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Help - Old Mosaic Files

Post by mikehalloran »

I presume you mean "old" Mac?

This site might help. I don't remember if I saw it here or not.

http://www.macintoshgarden.com/

If you can get them printed, you can scan them and export as MusicXML into nearly any notation program that supports it. You want scanning and notation software that support MusicXML 3.0—there are a number of them that do it with varying degrees of success..

MuseScore is free but doesn't import XML very well... but it's free...

Finale and SmartScore X2 Pro speak XML 3.0 quite well with each other. Finale 2014 and older are bundled with SmartScore Lite, an extremely crippled version of Pro (can't import pdf files, can't export lyrics among its many shortcomings).

Some notation products are fully functional during the 30 day evaluation period.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Help - Old Mosaic Files

Post by BobK »

seatone2 wrote:I have inherited some old MOTU Mosaic (around version 1.4 or 1.5 - MacOS) from my Piano teacher. Cannot find a copy of the app for any amount anywhere. I just want to get the files off of these ancient floppy disks (2 are double sided, 2 are high density). Assuming I can get these exported as MIDI files, but I don't know what I don't know. Willing to pay someone to help me. If there's a better place to post, please let me now. I'm located in Northern CA. I have a friend with an old who is at least going to try to read the floppies and copy the files. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sent you a PM. I still have my G4 PowerMac with Mosaic, which can save as Standard MIDI files.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4