Waves Electric 200 - My New Favoirte Wurly

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves Electric 200 - My New Favoirte Wurly

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, they were selling Electric 88 for $39, so I re-bit on it. Runs great inside DP now, and I have to say... like I'm sure most of you do, I own a LOT of Rhodes samples. They all sound good, some sound great. But I think Electric 88 is my new favorite. I mean, I thought it killed when I tried it the first time, so I don't think is a honeymoon reaction.

Also bought Grand Rhapsody (the "Adele" piano sample) and while I'd never use it solo, it sounds super-good in a mix that requires a bright, cutting piano.

So many pianos now, I sometimes use two or three different samples in a single production. Current game music I'm working on, I'm using Grand Rhapsody to play with the full orchestra and Piano In Blue for quieter passages.

EDIT: I ended up buying the Electric 200 VI, and it, too, is quite amazing. I spent many years banging on an old Wurly (in a fiberboard case, not the black plastic) in a string of lounge gigs, and this plug nails my memory of that instrument. I really like Broken Wurly, but this beats it for everyday.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves Electric 200 - My New Favoirte Wurly

Post by bayswater »

David Polich wrote:If you buy any new Waves plug-ins, do you have to re "WUP"? Or can you just buy the plugs or VI's
straight away?
Eventually. My WUP was about $30 a year for the Ren bundle and a couple of other misc plugins, until I went for a few "no brainer" specials. That put the WUP to over $300. The good news is I've never had to update them, so I've never paid the fee

Something to watch when you don't WUP: when I bought some newer plugins (NX v9.6, for example), installing it removed all the Waves plugins I had at v9.2. After some panic, I found you can just reinstall all of the earlier plugins, and all will be well.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8