Mix Magazine says DP is still mac-only, yet ranks it #4

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mix Magazine says DP is still mac-only, yet ranks it #4

Post by mhschmieder »

The latest Mix Magazine has an overview of DAW's where only five make the grade (the fifth being a tablet-only app that is new) and DP is #4 behind StudioOne, Nueno, and ProTools then at the top.

There's lots of praise for DP, but the author makes the bold statement, which is reinforced in several follow-on paragraphs, that DP is still a Mac-only app "after all these years" but "this helps MOTU to stay focused and do a good job".

Those aren't direct quotes; they're from memory. But anyway, I'm shocked that such a reputable magazine could be so many YEARS behind the times! yet at the same time, I guess we should be happy because we "made the cut" instead of being deprecated in favour of Live, Logic, or ******.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Robert Randolph

Re: Mix Magazine says DP is still mac-only, yet ranks it #4

Post by Robert Randolph »

I'm amazed that you consider "Mix" as a reputable publication.

High circulation sure... but I've never heard anyone consider it 'reputable'.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My issue with MIX is that articles are always taken at face value and no one does fact checking.

Too many articles prove the point including the OP but my favorite was a few years ago when some idiot went on how the new 2013 Mini was the ideal AV machine ignoring the fact that a 27' iMac had much, much better specs in every single category—generally by 50% or more. The nMP wasn't announced till a few months later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I remember years ago, Electronic Musician ran a comparison of doing pitch shifting in different DAWs. DP had recently incorporated the "Pitch" layer in the Sequence Editor, thus being the first DAW to have Melodyne-style pitch correction built into the app. The reviewer apparently didn't even KNOW this feature existed and represented the ancient Spectral Effects dialog as the only method of doing pitch correction. Someone wrote a letter to EM pointing this out and they author offered a very weak defense and would not admit his ignorance. You have to take these reviews with a HUGE grain of salt sometimes.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good points. If it had been "the web" I would have been less shocked, but it was the print edition, so theoretically had already gone through a few rounds of editing/review.

Well, I imagine it won't have any effect on sales, as most people use the internet to do their information shopping these days vs. depending on the details found in magazine articles. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I used to write for EQ and Keyboard, and I've got a pretty good guess at how something like this happened.

Print is dying, staffs are shrinking, as are budgets for fresh content. There's hardly anybody around a place like MIX to double check facts... proofreading often gets left to whomever is setting type. (Frankly, I'm amazed they're still publishing, since I've been receiving it free for 20 years.)

So they probably dug an old "round up" piece out of the files and handed it to an intern to check over and freshen up.

As for repute... well, if MIX isn't reputable, then nobody is. And please don't tell me about Tape Op: they're just as biased and beholden to their advertisers as anybody else. Don't let the unreadable 'zine typography, bad photos and ongoing self-hug fool you.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]