Backing Up RAR Files

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Backing Up RAR Files

Post by bayswater »

Occasionally I get an error when burning a DVD, with a report saying the disk may not be usable. After some time, I've noticed that when this happens, it's always a RAR file, although not all RAR files lead to the error. For some reason, a read error on the DVD happens. I've tried using the Terminal DIFF command to validate a DVD copy of the affected RAR files against the original. I get the same read error. Interestingly, UnRAR or MacParDeluxe don't have problems reading these files.

So, is there some sort of alternative processing that could be done on these RAR files to ensure they can be backed up? Maybe something as simple as making a ZIP of the RAR, maybe using something like Keka?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8