Any way to turn off updates on the Mac?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Any way to turn off updates on the Mac?

Post by Shooshie »

I get extremely tired of notifications to upgrade. You can click "Later" but it wants to know just "when later?" Skipping it is not an option. The banners will reappear until you finally do it. The pressure is invasive of our privacy, and in a weak moment I'm liable to go ahead and upgrade a bunch of things just to get the banners to stop. I've culled some of the worst offenders, usually on apps that I never even use.

To cull them, I go to Notifications in the System Preferences and set my preferences on each one. After all, why make it all or nothing? I've set many of them so that I never see them, but the main offender isn't there: OS X. You cannot tell it to shut up about upgrades to OS X. Or can you? Does anyone know a way?

I think I ended up in El Capitan in one weak moment, and I guess it hasn't cost me anything major, though for a while I was disappointed in some things. (Now i don't even remember; how quickly we forget the blissful days of things working as they were supposed to, if they ever existed.) Anyway, the bottom line is that I'd like to be the one who decides when I upgrade my OS, and not Apple or some automated bot. Surely there is a way to turn that off. Anyone know?

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Re: Any way to turn off updates on the Mac?

Post by cuttime »

System Preferences> App Store>Un-check "Automatically Check for Updates."
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Shooshie

Re: Any way to turn off updates on the Mac?

Post by Shooshie »

cuttime wrote:System Preferences> App Store>Un-check "Automatically Check for Updates."
Yeah, but that's another all-or-nothing method. I guess it's the only way. I can do that.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|