Just a note to my friends here at MOTUNation

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Just a note to my friends here at MOTUNation

Post by mhschmieder »

Shoosh, they're lucky to have you as a caretaker. We can spare you for awhile. :-)

I'm going through a bit of that myself this past year and a half. And you're right; it pretty much soaks up most of your cycles. Good for you for committing and having the energy to stick with the level of support you are offering. I hope you bring good books to read during the chemo sessions.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:I hope you bring good books to read during the chemo sessions.
I do. Including this forum, occasionally. But I can't answer DAW questions. If I think about music or music production, I panic. It's like "I'm not supposed to be here. I'm supposed to be making music!" I have to put it out of my mind. I can think about other things, like railroads for example, as I'm a lifelong railfan. Poetry. Things that don't require my entire attention. But I can't think about work.

By the way, I'm just reporting on what I've been doing. Countless people go through this all the time, but they just don't talk about it. No kudos necessary; I like thinking that someone else might read this and realize that they need to volunteer to help out their family or friends when the time comes. This is what we do. All of us. I've not done it enough. Just now catching up to where many others have been for a long time.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Railroads are good. If I travel west of the rockies, I only use rail anymore. Lifelong rail fan here. It's a great thing to think about when life is stressful. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Enjoying my sabbatical; I just picked up a penny whistle over at my daughter's apartment (we were over there celebrating my wife's birthday), and played for a half hour, enjoying the heck out of it. Laying off music completely is great therapy. Makes you enjoy it so much when you pick it up again. I haven't really ever done that. I've shifted my focus from performing to arranging to composing to recording, and so forth, always playing something, somewhere. But just stop? It's a weird feeling. After a couple months, you forget that you ever played an instrument or knew a scale. I mean, you know it, but you start needing reassurance that it wasn't just some kind of dream. Thus, you pick up a penny whistle and shred it all to hell and back. I'm not sure when I'll return to even my part-time status again, but it'll feel right when I do. THAT is something I've needed for a long, long time. I have not opened music software since October, and I haven't really worked in it since maybe July. Not ready to yet. I hope I don't have to buy all new hardware when I do!

I'm still dealing with extended family. Lots of lost time to make up for. But Those things are all going as well as could be expected. I needed to get away and do these things. Music is so all-encompassing. It's a jealous mistress who demands all your time, especially when you try to wear many hats. Family ties suffer for lack of time. Fortunately, at least some of my extended family are musicians, so they understand — heck, they are guilty of it themselves. Taking off has been good for us all as a family. It's one thing to take a vacation from work, but quite another to step out of your identity completely, not knowing if it'll even fit when you someday try to put it back on. I find myself trying on other identities, just as obsessively and compulsively as I do music.

Just dropping in to see what condition my condition is in. Talk to y'all soon,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Glad to hear you can still play a penny whistle!

Thanks for the update - thanks for just dropping in!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Always good to hear from Meister Shooshie.
Last edited by HCMarkus on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Good to hear from you Shoosh! Yes, musical diets of all manner are good for you. If one doesn't at least break things down and reconstruct now and then, one seems to lose perspective. Without any perspective, I sorta fall into a "chasing my own tail" routine. Regardless of what forces you to step away, such as your situation, it will always be, or feel as a forward moving exercise. Which is a positive thing. Ok. Carry on Shooshie! Everything and everyone will be waiting for you when you return! Best~Jeff

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I do remember when I was in my late teens and we did a family vacation to Colorado, etc. for maybe 10 days, I always looked forward to coming back home and getting reacquainted with the piano and the music.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

HCMarkus wrote:Always good to hear from Meister Shooshie.
Agreed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)