Dylan

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Dylan

Post by terrybritton »

Shooshie, that really was a terrific post there. Inspiring.

Thanks from me as well.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Same here, Shooshie. Thanks for taking the time and effort.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanks from me as well Shooshie.

Nice to read a thoughtful, considered post.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Here's my take on it…

I have no doubt that Dylan's lyrics rise to the level of literature. And one could make the case for other songwriter's lyrics -- Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, etc… You can certainly find song lyrics every bit as profound as Yeats, Jiimenz, Paz, Neruda, Walcott, or Blake, Rilke, Dickison … even Shakespeare.

So Dylan is certainly deserving as an artist, IMO.

But there is a wider issue, which is the very different worlds of literature/academia, and popular culture. Somebody like Dylan doesn't need the accolade, and certainly doesn't need the near-million-dollar prize. But that kind of money and exposure could make a huge difference in the life of a typical writer or poet, who so often struggle in obscurity and poverty.

So, while I think Dylan's genius certainly deserves the recognition, I'd rather see the award (and particularly the money) go to someone equally brilliant, but for whom the prize could be so much more life-changing.

Babz
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:But there is a wider issue, which is the very different worlds of literature/academia, and popular culture. Somebody like Dylan doesn't need the accolade, and certainly doesn't need the near-million-dollar prize. But that kind of money and exposure could make a huge difference in the life of a typical writer or poet, who so often struggle in obscurity and poverty.

So, while I think Dylan's genius certainly deserves the recognition, I'd rather see the award (and particularly the money) go to someone equally brilliant, but for whom the prize could be so much more life-changing.
It would be a nice gesture if Dylan would endow an annual award for struggling songwriters and/or poets. I think you make a good point, Babz, but I also see the need to make a broad statement that this man who has contributed so much in his life, even if he was paid very well for it, deserves the stamp of approval from a group that's not counting the units sold. Something that says "set your goals for this sort of thing."

Scientists who receive the Nobel are not usually struggling for recognition. They've usually devoted their lives to an idea which may yet be languishing undiscovered or unproven without their work. Most writers who receive it are pretty successful. If not famous to the general public, they are at least well known and respected by their peers. Choosing Dylan says that we don't have to disdain commercial artists for their success ("selling out"), but can offer special recognition to those who became successful while continuing to follow that inner compass that guided them early on before money was a big factor in their lives. It offers some guidance to the rich and famous who desperately need to learn that greed is not the only reason to achieve.

The more I think of it, the more I see the Nobel committee's decision a very logical one. Perhaps they should consider the net worth of a recipient and offer them the prize, but quietly encourage wealthy recipients to set the money in a foundation bearing their name for helping up-and-coming artists, and offer them the Nobel offices and resources to make it happen without a lot of effort.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I'm more on the page with people who think Leonard Cohen or Joni Mitchell would have been better choices, but more due to the Big Picture in terms of their contribution to multiple art forms.

Dylan, to me, is a poet of sorts, if one is broad-minded about the definition. It's Dylan as a person that bothers me more in terms of the prize. He's always seemed like a misogynist to me.

Well, the idea of that prize has never been to reward someone for being great, but to encourage influential and powerful people to do good. Kind of a shaming technique that appeals to the ego. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:Well, the idea of that prize has never been to reward someone for being great, but to encourage influential and powerful people to do good. Kind of a shaming technique that appeals to the ego. :-)

Excellent observation! Especially in this case.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Just need to add my kudos for your opening post here, Shooshie. Beautifully written; poetic in its own right. And the sentiments expressed appreciated.

Dare I say "The defense rests"? :D
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span (English folk revival band of the 70's and beyond) used to read her personal poems between songs, when she did solo and duo gigs. I thought it was interesting to note the different approach to lyrics vs. poetry by the very same artist.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:Maddy Prior of Steeleye Span (English folk revival band of the 70's and beyond) used to read her personal poems between songs, when she did solo and duo gigs. I thought it was interesting to note the different approach to lyrics vs. poetry by the very same artist.
I'd like to hear Joni do that.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, now we've lost Leonard Cohen, and Dylan himself sang his praises and felt indebted to him.

Cohen wrote a lot of actual poetry, and often talked about the different profit-margins of poetry vs. song lyrics. :-)

At any rate, even Dylan probably now wishes Cohen had received the Nobel this time around, given the timing.