Share statistics of how much disc space per sample player

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Share statistics of how much disc space per sample player

Post by mhschmieder »

As I am playing musical chairs right now to put off an expensive internal hard drive upgrade (I'd rather wait for 8 TB drives to come down in price than increment by 1 TB annually, to 6 TB, as I've been doing), I put together statistics of how much each sample player is contributing to my disc usage.

I thought it might be interesting for others to do the same, as I imagine many of us are part of a similar trend away from Kontakt being the overwhelming dominant engine and towards UVI/MachFive in particular grabbing more of our disc space.

In descending order, here is my library breakdown, rounded for easier comparisons.

1.8 TB Kontakt
1.2 TB Vienna Instruments
450 GB BFD
330 GB Play
305 GB UVI Sound Banks (UVI, Falcon, MachFive)
205 GB Toontracks (Superior, EZDrums, EZKeys)
145 GB Spectrasonics Instruments
135 GB SampleTank
52 GB Yellow Tools Engine
51 GB Vienna Imperial (separate player from Vienna Instruments)
30 GB Ivory
17 GB Iris
16 GB XLN Audio (Addictive Drums, Addictive Keys)
10 GB Steven Slate Drums
9 GB Drumagog
7 GB Geist
7 GB Trigger
5 GB Battery

Note that this list does not include stuff that I now allow to sit on my main SSD, due to how much effort it took to deal with updates otherwise, and as they're small enough (for the most part) to not make that big of a dent while simultaneously benefitting from the faster load times.

For instance, my Alchemy libraries (quite huge as I have most of them) now sit on my main SSD, as I'm nervous about how well Logic Pro will handle them going forward. Also all of my G-Force stuff.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH