El Capitan Before It's Too Late

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: El Capitan Before It's Too Late

Post by Tobor »

Thanks indeed for the reminder, and not a moment too soon, apparently... when I went to the Update page at the App Store, the big El Capitan 'invitation' at the top of the page was no longer there. I had to search for it and then was able to download.

So it looks like Sierra is imminent. Last call El Capitan!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Tobor wrote:Thanks indeed for the reminder, and not a moment too soon, apparently... when I went to the Update page at the App Store, the big El Capitan 'invitation' at the top of the page was no longer there. I had to search for it and then was able to download.

The Sierra release is this Friday, Sept 23 if the rumors are true.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

mikehalloran wrote:
Tobor wrote:Thanks indeed for the reminder, and not a moment too soon, apparently... when I went to the Update page at the App Store, the big El Capitan 'invitation' at the top of the page was no longer there. I had to search for it and then was able to download.

The Sierra release is this Friday, Sept 23 if the rumors are true.
No rumors necessary, and the release date is 9/20. Tomorrow.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Due to complications with Finale, some of us will simply NOT be moving to the new OS. That's a done deal. :deadhorse: Certainly the end of the road as far as Finale goes and I don't see a viable replacement. Sibelius - never! Notion - meh! Doritos... I love them, as for their namesake, that remains to be seen.

Of course what would be fantastic is if MOTU came out with a notation app. I'd be happy with an update to the Notation Window... Quick scribe never did it for me. I need true DTP for my scores.

And another horse gets beat to death a second time... :deadhorse: :boohoo:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Got this today from Plugin Alliance:
Dear Valued Plugin Alliance Customer,

We’re writing to let you know that in our qualification of Apple’s new Sierra OS (v 10.12) we have discovered serious problems with many Plugin Alliance products that primarily affect customers who use the Audio Unit format. Our developers are working hard on a solution but at this time we are recommending that all Mac based Plugin Alliance customers do not upgrade to Sierra. We will continue our qualification efforts and expect to announce full support in the near future. We greatly appreciate your patience while we complete our qualification process.

Thank you,

The Plugin Alliance Team
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Rick Cornish wrote:Got this today from Plugin Alliance:

We’re writing to let you know that in our qualification of Apple’s new Sierra OS (v 10.12) we have discovered serious problems with many Plugin Alliance products that primarily affect customers who use the Audio Unit format. Our developers are working hard on a solution but at this time we are recommending that all Mac based Plugin Alliance customers do not upgrade to Sierra. We will continue our qualification efforts and expect to announce full support in the near future. We greatly appreciate your patience while we complete our qualification process.

Thank you,

The Plugin Alliance Team
We went through this exact same thing with the first iteration of El Cap. I don't see how Apple can continue to break it's own format, especially when there just doesn't seem to be that big of a change to the OS.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

cuttime wrote:
Rick Cornish wrote:Got this today from Plugin Alliance:

Thank you,

The Plugin Alliance Team
We went through this exact same thing with the first iteration of El Cap. I don't see how Apple can continue to break it's own format, especially when there just doesn't seem to be that big of a change to the OS.
The fact that only certain manufacturers have issues with this would imply more so that they are likely using the spec incorrectly (or using a library which does so, or an old version).

If Apple was making drastic changes to the spec itself, it would be much more likely that a wider range of developers would be affected.

I'm not saying PA falls in to the former camp. For all we know, maybe there are a lot of AUs that are broken in the gold master. But just one report implies it's their issue not apples at this point.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'll wait a few months, or until I'm forced to "upgrade". I'll be watching this forum and a couple of others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Growing pains with a new OS. I'm shocked!!!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Unfounded speculations are helpful. If you have facts (the editorial "you") great, but be careful not to believe everything you think.

Or not... :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

...and now, from NI:
Dear NI user,

After intensive testing and close collaboration with Apple, we’re happy to report full compatibility and highly stable audio performance with all of our current-generation hardware and macOS Sierra.

However, the following discontinued devices will not be supported on macOS Sierra, or future versions of macOS.:

TRAKTOR:

First generations of TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 and TRAKTOR AUDIO 2

And:

TRAKTOR AUDIO 8 DJ
TRAKTOR AUDIO 4 DJ
TRAKTOR AUDIO 2 DJ

KOMPLETE:

AUDIO KONTROL 1
GUITAR RIG MOBILE I/O
GUITAR RIG SESSION I/O
RIG KONTROL 2
RIG KONTROL 3
KORE Controller
KORE 2 Controller

MASCHINE hardware (all generations) is not affected.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

.....and yet another. I will be waiting on Sierra.

https://ask.audio/articles/musicians-pr ... a-1012-yet
Rick Cornish