Anyone planning to bite on the iPhone 7 or 7+ ?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Anyone planning to bite on the iPhone 7 or 7+ ?

Post by mikehalloran »

My 4S bogged down when iOS 7 came out but still worked well if slower. My 5s is great but lacks image stabilization and being the one-armed guy, I wanted a better camera. I've been assured that iOS 10 will run great on it which I'll be able to confirm tomorrow.

The SE and 6s are identical except for the screen size and available RAM. The 6s+ adds an additional video stabilization function and a larger screen. All have 802.11ac for data which is extra fast if the wireless hub supports the same protocol. All good—except the cameras still requires two hands for certain functions. Buying any of them now costs less than my 5s when new.

Nice thing about the 24 plan is that you can pay it off in 24 months. By not charging interest, it keeps them from offering any kind of discount. You can also keep paying and upgrade your iPhone after 6 months—your choice.

I like having my phone, iPad and Mac sync on many apps. Great to make a recording on one device and drag to my desktop for editing on another or take a note on my phone and copy it to a document on my Mac and edit it later on my iPad.

I use GoogleDocs at work and can make the direct comparison. It works but Mac OS and iOS is just better.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I've had my 7+ a couple of days now.

The negative: I don't like the size. Although I can do nearly everything one-handed, it's a bit cumbersome. Were it not for the dual camera, I'd be exchanging it for the 7. I bought a leather case that's too slick and may have to go with a silicone case or something with a better grip.

The positive: I can make everything work while holding it in my right hand including camera zoom. Even though I updated to iOS 10 on my 5s, one handed operation is not possible on that device.

The dual camera is very nice and the reason I'm keeping it. The video image stabilization previously available only on the 6+ is now available on both the 7 and 7+.

The missing headphone is just not an issue except for my Line 6 keyboard (I'll get to that). The dongle works with any iOS 10 device including my iPad Air with its bad headphone jack—I bought a second dongle today. I have a VHT i-Amp that can use an amp simulation on an iOS device for an effects loop—works great with the dongle, too.
http://www.vhtamp.com/products/the-i-series

The only thing you can't do is charge while using the lightening headphone or dongle. This should take care of that and also let my Line 6 keyboard work properly. I will get one as soon as available.
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198/

Playing the Rock Organ in GarageBand through the dongle worked fine. Finger pressure on the keys changes the Leslie from slow to fast and back. Ok, that's cool... I guess...

The neutral: Stereo speakers work ok—the sound is improved but so what? I did some extreme nearfield listening on James's "It Goes to Eleven" (pressed the glass to my nose) and yes, I can hear that there's a bass and kick drum on the track. I just can't muster enthusiasm for the improved sound.

The Taptic motor will take a little getting used to but I'm good with it. I understand it doesn't work with gloves on—Apple is going to have to find a workaround but won't be much of an issue for many of us.

Overall, I'm really liking this phone and am glad I bought it. I really wish that the dual-camera was available in the 7. Maybe next year...
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I was talking about the new iPhone with a friend and the subject came up about what happens with devices like the Square to accept credit card payments. They connect to the headphone jack of the iPhone. Be interesting to see if the card reader works with the iPhone 7 with the breakout cable. I guess Square will have to be working on a Lightning card reader assuming the iPhone market is big enough. Although now one product won't work for both Android and iOS phones which might present a bit of a headache.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Nice time to buy an iPhone 6...that's my plan.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:Nice time to buy an iPhone 6...that's my plan.
I think that's mine too. My sister has to be on the bleeding edge, so I got her 5s when she moved up. Might be time to get a 6. I'd like to buy a used one outright.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Unless you want the bigger screen of the 6, get the SE. It is the 6S in the form factor of the 5S including the better processor, camera and wifi.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:Unless you want the bigger screen of the 6, get the SE. It is the 6S in the form factor of the 5S including the better processor, camera and wifi.
Thanks Mike. So that's a 5SE or 6SE?

billf

Post by billf »

James Steele wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Unless you want the bigger screen of the 6, get the SE. It is the 6S in the form factor of the 5S including the better processor, camera and wifi.

It's just called the SE. You can see the model on the Apple website here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-se/
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

billf wrote:
James Steele wrote:

It's just called the SE. You can see the model on the Apple website here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-se/
Exactly.

I was trying to talk both my wife and daughter into the SE. With my grad student daughter, that was a lost cause—she's the one who told my wife she had to have a 7. OK...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How T-Mobile Is Paying for All Those Free iPhones

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/2 ... yptr=yahoo
billf

Post by billf »

mikehalloran wrote:I was trying to talk both my wife and daughter into the SE. With my grad student daughter, that was a lost cause—she's the one who told my wife she had to have a 7. OK...
I like the SE. My wife has a 6+, and loves it, but I prefer the smaller form factor of the SE. It's easier to carry around in my pockets. If I need a larger screen, I have an iPad.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

billf wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I was trying to talk both my wife and daughter into the SE. With my grad student daughter, that was a lost cause—she's the one who told my wife she had to have a 7. OK...
I like the SE. My wife has a 6+, and loves it, but I prefer the smaller form factor of the SE. It's easier to carry around in my pockets. If I need a larger screen, I have an iPad.
Rumor has it that the SE will get an update in March, one year after its release. Perhaps the A10 chip, advanced image stabilization and f 1.8 camera of the 7? (if not, what's the point?) It will be interesting to see if the headphone jack is retained. I give it a 50/50 chance of happening in 2017.

In other news, a company wants to integrate a headphone jack into a case. Not sure I want to join the Kickstarter campaign but it looks interesting:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/09 ... fuze-case/