Remuxing Audio to Video File - what's your workflow?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Mathematics
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Remuxing Audio to Video File - what's your workflow?

Post by Mathematics »

I was curious what some of you use for remuxing audio to video, that is, when you don't want to re-render video but simply replace the audio in a video file. What I would be interested in hearing is what format of video do you use and what application are you using. I know Cubase does this nicely and Pro Tools can do it for 1080p using the DNxHD 80 codec. Unless I missed it somewhere in the DP manual, DP doesn't do remuxing.

I'm working with 1080p video edited and rendered coming out of Premiere. I extract the audio and do some processing to it in DP. I then render the audio out from DP, import it back into Premiere and re-encode the file...but that kills frequencies at the Nyquist limit. Essentially, the audio quality goes down because Adobe's Media Encoder is not that great.

I don't record the audio; which comes to me as 16bit/44.1kHz to begin with. So, the 16bit depth is crippling the audio quality. Unfortunately, I don't have control of the recording equipment...I'm just getting the audio and video this way.
My results are not bad but if I can avoid re-encoding, that would definitely improve the audio quality. Lastly, the audio length never changes. Any suggestions?
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai