Need to replace AirPort Express

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bkshepard
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need to replace AirPort Express

Post by bkshepard »

I have an older model AirPort Express that just died and I need to replace it. I use it for two things:
  1. 1. Extending the WiFi from my AirPort Extreme Base Station out to my patio
    2. Playing music via AirPlay by connecting it to a remote amp and speakers
It looks like the only similar Apple Option is the newer AirPort Express for $99. I'm wondering if any of you have alternate suggestions that do both of the two items above and are as easy to set up and configure. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
HCMarkus

Re: Need to replace AirPort Express

Post by HCMarkus »

For outdoor audio, I'm using the older $69 Apple TV to play tunes served from an iPad via Airplay. Unlike the newer version of Apple TV, it has optical out.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Normally, I'd be recommending the AirPort Extreme or tower Time Capsule as they can also be set up to extend a network. They support 802.11ac which really is faster than gigabyte Ethernet. Your Mac or PC must also support the protocol to realize the benefit, of course.

Unfortunately, neither supports AirPlay. If you need that functionality, your only choice is the Airport Express. 802.11n is ok but only 1/3 the speed of 802.11ac.

Amazon and others have it for $89 and there are some refurbs for less though none in the Apple Store at the moment.

I don't know that AppleTV will extend a wireless network. I notice it, too, only supports 802.11n.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Thanks Guys! That's pretty much what I was seeing as well. Just hoping there might be something I had missed. Thanks for the feedback!
-Brian

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Can't you just snag a few Voice of the Theater speakers and blast 'em?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Can't you just snag a few Voice of the Theater speakers and blast 'em?
I'm afraid the neighbors might have something to say about that. Assuming I could hear them :twisted:
-Brian