Musicians that blow... beware of 'Bagpipe Lung'

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Musicians that blow... beware of 'Bagpipe Lung'

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Leave me out of this. I was dragged into this discussion kicking and farting...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
tomf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Musicians that blow... beware of 'Bagpipe Lung'

Post by tomf »

:vomit:
Shooshie wrote:Funny thing, when I taught private lessons half a life ago while working my way through college, I played on all my students' setups to see what kinds of problems they were having. (you can tell a lot about their problems by playing on their reed, mouthpiece, and horn) I NEVER got sick. I think it inoculated me from all that was going around. It's odd that I did that; I grew up not even wanting to breathe the air of someone who walked past my desk, so it was a real about-face for me. (about-face means turn around 180 degrees, for those who are too young for military/marching band terminology)

However, one day a particularly lousy student sounded even lousier than usual. This time I didn't play on his setup. I took the reed off to look at it. It was thick in green, furry mold, and had live maggots on it. From that day on, I never played on someone else's mouthpiece without scrubbing it with soap and water, and I NEVER played their reeds. I even hesitated to play their horns, but there IS a certain amount you can learn by doing that, so I'd have to do it. The image of that guy's reed just never went away. In 1981, I quit teaching kids. I taught college students at U of North Texas for a few years, but I realized I could put that time to much better use by practicing. I think that one experience had a lot to do with that decision.

Shoosh
:vomit: That is so gross!!!!!