When enough really is enough

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: When enough really is enough

Post by Shooshie »

Well said, Babz.
And while I like to think of you as "one of the guys," I think in this case a woman's view is very much needed to help dispel some of the excess testosterone that starts rising in a room of competitive people whose work habits are suddenly thrown into question. In your case, let's just say the goddess has spoken, rather than "mom says." Or we could just go back to "one of the guys." Or Shooshie could just STFU now!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Babz wrote:...At the same time, things come along that I didn't know I would want...
I do believe that's at the core of this whole discussion. Probably the single most relevant statement in this thread.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Shooshie wrote:People just forget sometimes and wonder if the grass is greener elsewhere. You simply have to remind them that you've got the greenest, fastest growing grass on the planet!
It helps to check once in a while though. You can learn a lot in the process.
Agreed. I download demos of every DAW that has one. I own Pro Tools, Logic and Studio One. I hunt for the features that DP could use then do my best to suggest them to MOTU. Like Cubase's Note Expressions. What a killer feature. But I'm not about to leave DP because of that. I have way too many years invested in DP and there are things about Cubase that seem very unpolished.

Just my two cents if anyone gives a damn about what I have to say.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Shooshie wrote:Well said, Babz.
And while I like to think of you as "one of the guys," I think in this case a woman's view is very much needed to help dispel some of the excess testosterone that starts rising in a room of competitive people whose work habits are suddenly thrown into question. In your case, let's just say the goddess has spoken, rather than "mom says." Or we could just go back to "one of the guys." Or Shooshie could just STFU now!
Ha ha ha ha haha, you make me laugh, Shooshie!

Gender differences aside (which can be fascinating, and *wonderful*), let's not forget about the unique form of communication that is "comments on the Internet". It is categorically different from how we would behave in person (or on the phone … or in CARS! Why are people such dicks in cars?). The very structure of the form can steer us to say things that are both stupider than we would normally say, and, if we carefully consider our comments, perhaps wiser.

:|
Last edited by Babz on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:Gender differences aside (which can be fascinating, and *wonderful*)
You know... I was noticing that. I mean, REALLY noticing that.

:woohoo:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:
Babz wrote:Gender differences aside (which can be fascinating, and *wonderful*)
You know... I was noticing that. I mean, REALLY noticing that.

:woohoo:

Shoosh
get a room... or send her some airline tickets to Texas...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

waxman wrote:get a room... or send her some airline tickets to Texas...
I was referring to the general female gender of mankind. I don't think I could afford tickets for all of them. But Texas welcomes all ladies, and treats them special.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna send you a jar of dry subtlety. Spread it on your toast each day, and you'll gradually start getting my jokes. (and not sticking your foot in the middle of them)
:rofl:

Shoosh
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Um, I was thinking of the social-cultural constructs of stereotypical masculine and feminine behavior and/or personality traits and their possible biological or evolutionary basis, and how the same sort of rhetorical sparring could have arisen with any group of users communicating on the Internet, regardless of gender... :oops:

But put apparently I have vastly underestimated "the excess testosterone that starts rising in a room" of which Shooshie was speaking.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Babz wrote:Um, I was thinking of the social-cultural constructs of stereotypical masculine and feminine behavior and/or personality traits and their possible biological or evolutionary basis, and how the same sort of rhetorical sparring could have arisen with any group of users communicating on the Internet, regardless of gender... :oops:

But put apparently I have vastly underestimated "the excess testosterone that starts rising in a room" of which Shooshie was speaking.
Dunno... maybe it's a guy thing... but I only got halfway through your first sentence and quit. My brain hurt. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

Babz wrote: But put apparently I have vastly underestimated "the excess testosterone that starts rising in a room" of which Shooshie was speaking.
Would that be vastly underestimated Texas testosterone?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:
waxman wrote:get a room... or send her some airline tickets to Texas...
I was referring to the general female gender of mankind. I don't think I could afford tickets for all of them. But Texas welcomes all ladies, and treats them special.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna send you a jar of dry subtlety. Spread it on your toast each day, and you'll gradually start getting my jokes. (and not sticking your foot in the middle of them)
:rofl:

Shoosh
No way. I would loose my funk.
waxman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Ooo... yeah, you're right!

Mmmmm... Funk!
I could use a jar of that to hold my cowboy hat on in the wind! Especially that West Wind!

Also, I've heard that:
:deadhorse: + Funk (1 jar) = :unicorn:

Wait... don't try that. Maybe it was the other way around. I just can't remember.

Shoosh
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Babz wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Well said, Babz.
Ha ha ha ha haha, you make me laugh, Shooshie!

Gender differences aside (which can be fascinating, and *wonderful*), let's not forget about the unique form of communication that is "comments on the Internet". It is categorically different from how we would behave in person (or on the phone … or in CARS! Why are people such dicks in cars?). The very structure of the form can steer us to say things that are both stupider than we would normally say, and, if we carefully consider our comments, perhaps wiser.

:|
I think comments online can show how a persons mind truly “thinks” without social niceties.
It’s illuminating. Who says we cannot read minds in this day and age. I’t a feature on every modern cell phone, just go to Facebook and see. Unfiltered “minds” abound.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
waxman

Post by waxman »

Shooshie wrote:Ooo... yeah, you're right!

Mmmmm... Funk!
I could use a jar of that to hold my cowboy hat on in the wind! Especially that West Wind!

Also, I've heard that:
:deadhorse: + Funk (1 jar) = :unicorn:

Wait... don't try that. Maybe it was the other way around. I just can't remember.

Shoosh
:deadhorse: + :boohoo: = a Texan
waxman
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Crumpets! :shock:
Shooshie wrote:Act our ages. Wait... no, don't do that. Act about 15 years younger. :P

Shoosh
Made my day, this one, 'Meister. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here