Magic Trackpad-2

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Magic Trackpad-2

Post by Shooshie »

Apple has released the Magic Trackpad 2, which is an advanced design over the original trackpad. It's over twice the cost of the original trackpad, but it has many advantages.

And one huge disadvantage. I'll start with that. It does not work with Jitouch. Jitouch simply does not respond to gestures made on the new Magic Trackpad 2. [EDIT: THIS HAS BEEN FIXED! SEE NEXT POST]

Now for the advantages:
  • 1) It has an OFF switch! (yay! The cats can't use it while I'm asleep to order kitty treats from Amazon or Chewy.com)
  • 2) Rechargeable batteries! No more changing batteries. Just plug in a USB/Lightning cable. The trackpad end uses the lightning plug, of course. While mine is too new to tell you how long the charge lasts, I'm told it lasts at least a month. Charges fully in 2 hours. Charges enough to use for a while in 2 minutes.
  • 3) Robust wireless connection. The old trackpads drifted from their connection pretty regularly if there was a lot of metal around. The result was that they would get hard to control, with the cursor going wildly out of control, overshooting every object. The fix was merely to pick it up and move it, even an inch. Then it worked fine, but it would happen again shortly. The new Magic Trackpad 2 apparently won't do that. In fact, the first thing you notice is how direct the connection feels. It follows your every move, but never overshoots.
  • 4) 1.25" wider. The old trackpad's usable surface was square. The new one is a rectangle in landscape mode. It feels a lot freer mousing around, and with the better wireless connection your mousing feels more precise.
  • 5) no clicker-feet to wear out. I've been through 3 of the old trackpads, because their clicker-feet (2 per trackpad, on the front corners) wear out. They will no longer raise the trackpad back up and release the click. Also, the little rubber foot can get pulled out, and then you're just screwed. The new one has no clicking feet. The whole device is a "clicker."
I love the new trackpad. It's everything the old one was, and much, much more. I didn't think they could improve the 1st version, except for the wireless connection problem, but they did.

Shooshie
Last edited by Shooshie on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Re: Magic Trackpad-2

Post by Shooshie »

I just discovered that there is a new version of Jitouch. I missed it before, because I checked for new updates from my Jitouch driver, and it said I was using the latest one. But when I explored the website, I found version 2.63. My previous version was 2.53. The new version works with the Magic Trackpad 2!

We're in business. All advantages, and no disadvantages! This thing rocks!

Shooshie
Last edited by Shooshie on Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Been using that new puppy for a few weeks (months?) and love it. The tactile feedback via vibraton is great.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Been using that new puppy for a few weeks (months?) and love it. The tactile feedback via vibraton is great.
There are other great things about it besides what we've mentioned above, but it may take time for those to be put in service. It allows 3-D touch: different pressures yield different results. I can see that being great for selecting a tool while working in a graphics or video app or a DAW, for example.

And I just discovered a new one: hover over a link and push down hard, and it will preview the link for you. A big bubble pops open from the cursor, with the webpage in it. Release, and it goes away. Great for seeing if you want to go there before leaving where you are, or for just checking a quick fact without leaving your page.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that it is for El Capitan (or beyond) only.

Shooshie
MIDI Life Crisis

El Cap... I thought I lost my USB tonight. It was actually my OWC TB port thing that died. Ugh!

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2DOCK12P/

Once I disconnected it everything that was sluggish started running waaaay faster. It was bogging the entire system down for about a year and I was blaming the Mac and Keyboarf Maestro. Duh!

I'll call OWC Monday and figure out a plan B.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

That is VERY interesting. I have a USB hub, maybe more than one (I haven't been under the desk in a while), and your post makes me wonder if my slowdowns maybe related to that very thing. I'll have to do some testing and keep my eyes open.

Shoosh
MIDI Life Crisis

I'm in the middle of a project but not too intense and not due for a while, so I'm not concerned. I do need to rewire but it won't be today. I have an acrylic painting class at LACMA and a gig at Paramount Ranch tonight. After morning errands tomorrow morning, it's time to tear down the rig for a few hours and redo the white le shebang. Fun times.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have tried a number of USB hubs lately. Every once in awhile, it loses connection to my iMac. I unplug the cable at the hub, reconnect again and it's good. I gave up trying to find one that doesn't do this and just put up with it. It can be one day or three weeks.

Before I connect anything to the hub, I now open the iLok license manager. If I see my iLok, I'm good. If I don't, time to unplug and reconnect the cable again.

It's been like this since I got my iMac in 2010. It only affects USB hubs and it doesn't matter which port. Keyboards, mice and my trackball have never been affected—they are not going through the hub, of course.

The new Magic Trackpad 2 looks like the bomb. I've not worn out my original nor have had the problems reported by others but this looks like something I can use. I use rechargeable batteries but will be nice to have them built in. I still keep my Logitech Trackball connected for occasions when I need finer control than I can get from my 1st gen trackpad.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Are you using powered hubs Mike? Might want to try one if you haven't already.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:Are you using powered hubs Mike? Might want to try one if you haven't already.
Yes. My latest one also has two charging ports. Those work to charge my iPhone even if my iMac can't see the USB connection.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

My hubs are all posted and the OWC one is a monster with many connection ports. It's dead!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

About a year ago, my cMP started taking a very long time to post (sitting on grey screen before boot), ultimately getting to the point it would not post at all. Removing USB peripherals, including powered Yamaha keyboards, eliminated the problem, which was ultimately resolved with a new powered hub, one of Amazon's:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Por ... ds=usb+hub

(7 port USB 2.0 model)

It may be that if the current draw on any USB port on the cMP is too great, posting cannot take place. If so, the problem could be caused by a bad USB power supply, not necessarily failure of the hub itself.
MIDI Life Crisis

What the heck is going on with USB? Grrrrr....... :banghead:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:About a year ago, my cMP started taking a very long time to post (sitting on grey screen before boot), ultimately getting to the point it would not post at all. Removing USB peripherals, including powered Yamaha keyboards, eliminated the problem, which was ultimately resolved with a new powered hub, one of Amazon's:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Por ... ds=usb+hub

(7 port USB 2.0 model)

It may be that if the current draw on any USB port on the cMP is too great, posting cannot take place. If so, the problem could be caused by a bad USB power supply, not necessarily failure of the hub itself.
Nice theory but, in my case, I doubt it. The only peripheral that I keep attached is my iLok key.

My keyboard never loses its connection but, as a hub, it's USB 1 only and non-powered to boot. It won't charge my iPhone and I get error messages when I plug that into the keyboard. I could use it as my iLok hub (and did for years) but then I wouldn't be able to check my powered hub connection by firing up the iLok manager.

I'm going to try one of those Amazon hubs. At $20, I have little to lose. I paid twice that for my new D-Link but I can dump that on eBay, I suppose. We'll see if that fixes me up.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Hah, I still haven't gotten around to making use of my Rev 1 Magic Trackpad, which I think I bought mostly for the extra batteries and recharger for my Magic Mouse. Good to know there's a Rev 2 now.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH