Magic Trackpad-2

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Magic Trackpad-2

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:I did just try connecting a USB mouse with the CCK, but I don't think iOS supports a cursor at all-- which is understandable as it defeats the over-arching concept of the touch screen. I have to avoid the impulse to try to make my iPad more like a low-functioning laptop (which I already have).
If you use a bluetooth keyboard with an iPad, the cursor is just like it is on your Mac. The arrow keys work, front and back delete work, shift-arrow select works, option-delete and all the other controls on the keyboard work as you would expect. It only doesn't work in the iOS keyboard, because they didn't put it there. The capability is still waiting for a keyboard, underneath it all. (It's still basically UNIX, after all)

So, even though a mouse may not work with a cursor, the keyboard does, and it makes a huge difference!

I carry an iPad when traveling, with a bluetooth keyboard. It's not much different than having a laptop, except that you can ditch the keyboard and it's an iPad!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I should have specified that with a mouse there is no floating arrow cursor-- and I doubt the iOS is doing anything internally with the data stream coming from the mouse. In text edit, there is of course a text "I-beam" cursor.

Using the touch screen to maneuver around text on the screen isn't so fun even with the magnification lens.

I'm not ready to upgrade to El Cap. So far every OS upgrade has cause a little pain and loss, so I don't do it lightly anymore. Also, the price isn't so easy for me. And the learning curve. I'm learning to take my time on decisions like this. But it is on the wish list.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:I should have specified that with a mouse there is no floating arrow cursor-- and I doubt the iOS is doing anything internally with the data stream coming from the mouse. In text edit, there is of course a text "I-beam" cursor.
I understood what you meant. I guess my response was a little off-topic from your post, but I often do that; one idea triggers another.

The lack of a floating cursor in the iPad is what keeps certain music notation software from working on it. I wish they'd come up with something, or maybe they've figured out a work-around. I haven't looked lately.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

We received our order two days early today. I was too busy to break out my Magic Mouse 2 and try it out, but the MM2 and MT2 that I ordered for our SQC team was hand-delivered by me personally and they are ecstatic -- Magic Trackpad 2 is HUMONGOUS (I thought it was supposed to be just a tad larger than MT1) and way less prone to accidental tripping of gestures/etc. I may get one for myself, but like MM2, it will wait for my next eBay Bucks certificate which otherwise might get forfeited (deadline is short).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I unboxed my Magic Mouse 2 at work today and was blown away at how much easier it is to use, as it is so much more responsive and precise as well as fast in its reactiveness. A great productivity boost.

Looks like I'll order a Magic Trackpad 2 for work very soon as well, as I am starting to add gesture support in my software and obviously need to test it to make sure it works. :-)

Curious about home use for stuff like DP though, as I plan to eventually buy a Slate Raven. Is it redundant to have both? Anyone out there finding good ways to purpose each for different stuff and finding one more suited for certain tasks than the other?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mikehalloran wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:About a year ago, my cMP started taking a very long time to post (sitting on grey screen before boot), ultimately getting to the point it would not post at all. Removing USB peripherals, including powered Yamaha keyboards, eliminated the problem, which was ultimately resolved with a new powered hub, one of Amazon's:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Por ... ds=usb+hub

(7 port USB 2.0 model)

I'm going to try one of those Amazon hubs. At $20, I have little to lose. I paid twice that for my new D-Link but I can dump that on eBay, I suppose. We'll see if that fixes me up.
UPDATE:

I bought one of those hubs, the 7 port USB 2.0 model, and it appears to have solved my problem.

I haven't tossed the new, $39 D-Link. Since it is USB 3 compatible, I may keep it in case I ever get a Mac that can use it or my daughter has a need.

Anyway, it's nice to have that problem go away after so many years and so many other peripherals losing USB connectivity on a random basis.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

This one solved my issues. Also, I had mismatched a mini-usb cable that came with my Belkin 7 port hub and paired it with another device. Once I noticed the error I used the cable that came with the Belkin and it seems the USB problem has gotten better. Now, however, I'm experiencing intermittent dropouts of my Track 16, powered and attached with a FW to TB turn around from Apple. That is connected directly to the Mac, not a hub.

Make it stop, Mother..., MAKE IT STOP! :smash:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I spent a little more unsupervised time at an Apple store playing with the new MTP2. This time I didn't have any trouble at all selecting and dragging multiple objects. Perhaps they just had a different setting or changed the driver in some way. I did like it, in terms of its response and touch.

I don't love the ergonomics of clicking with my thumb while I drag with my fingers. But I could see how with practice, this could get things done prettty easily. Especially with scrolling and zooming.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com