Guy with Music Box

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Guy with Music Box

Post by Shooshie »

I absolutely love these videos! Amazing.

This guy (possibly Martin Molin?) makes music boxes and other instruments, blending old world mechanical devices with high tech electronic devices in performance. The performances are by "Wintergatan," which may be his band's name. They are from Sweden.

In the 2nd video, he (they?) seems to have been inspired by an old DVD many of you will remember, called Animusic. It was filled with animated robots playing music with things like bouncing marbles, bowed strings, and robotic arms strumming and fingering strings. If you remember it, you'll know how ingenious it was, and if you have not seen it, you will not be able to imagine it until you do. There are certainly YouTube videos of it.

Anyway, this guy, or maybe someone he works with, makes these devices. They are amazing! Wonderful things. The music is only part of the story; the devices are the other part.

If you have time for only one video, make it the second one.
When I think about the difference between what this guy does and what we do in DP (MIDI) it reminds me of the old joke about the difference between the pig and the chicken at breakfast: the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Yes, ha ha. But seriously, this guy is committed. There's nothing like inventing your own instruments to play your music!

Enough from me. Enjoy.

Shooshie

PS: For those who have time on their hands and want to explore this, you'll find links on the video pages themselves. You can buy their albums, etc.

For Animusic links, try this: Pipe Dream
And BONUS: Intel built the instruments in Pipe Dream. Pipe Dream, LIVE!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|