How in the world can this happen?!?!?!?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How in the world can this happen?!?!?!?

Post by FMiguelez »

I've been getting TONS of junk email lately, in iCloud, in Yahoo business, etc.

What intrigues me is that, some of that junk mail, appears as if I had sent it to myself. I can even see my picture in those emails (the one I use for my VALID emails).

The headers read>
FROM> Fernando de Miguélez
TO: Fernando de Miguélez

How can this be?
I do email myself stuff all the time, so this is really annoying, as I can no longer distinguish what I sent to myself from what is junk until I open the email.

I hate spammers.

:banghead:
:brucelee:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Re: How in the world can this happen?!?!?!?

Post by stubbsonic »

I think spammers and robo-callers have ways of changing their "trail".

I've gotten telemarketer calls that show my name and number as the caller ID. As for showing your image, well, now that is creepy (well, not your image... you know what I mean).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
billf

Post by billf »

They are spoofing the "from" address. If you look at the raw header, you'll find the actual path it's sent from. Here's an article that explains what is happening>

http://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoo ... 1579478914
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thank you for that informative article. 8)

Now I understand how my picture is in spoofed emails. It also shows (vía another link in there) how to read the full headers and what to look for to be able to detect them, and how to protect yourself.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman