Misery looking for company (any company but Apple)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Misery looking for company (any company but Apple)

Post by monkey man »

Shooshie wrote:Just curious... where did you get the OS X installation file? It seems that it's much harder to find that than it used to be.
I get the combo links from... MOTUNation!

I've spent so many hours searching the 'net for them in the past; I only use combos. I can't use Mike's method 'cause I'm always way behind with my actual installations; I just like to have the future mapped out and ready to install in this regard. If I have, say, 3 combo updates for a given OS, once a clear winner has been crowned here at the 'Nation, I ditch the other updates.

Occasionally combos have turned up as torrent files in Google searches; they've always downloaded very quickly and painlessly, but as I implied, it's rare I stumble across those.

Bottom line for me is: Why the heck doesn't Apple provide links in an obvious fashion once one clicks on, oh I don't know... an OSX link on an official Apple site or at the store? Geez. :roll:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stratology

Post by stratology »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:For all that my computer is fast, some things it does makes it crawl. Simple things, like playing video online or just viewing a Facebook page.
Don't confuse network speed or the performance of specific websites with computer performance, these have nothing to do with each other...
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks, I realize that. It's only one part of the equation. But sites that fail to load in Safari open instantly in other browsers, so it is also some app specific stuff going on.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

Unfortunately, after trying Firefox for a long while, I have to say that the browser that gives me the least problems is Chrome. I say unfortunately because I plain don't trust google.

I have not tried the safari tech preview beta though. Thought I would give that a whirl....

https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

nk_e wrote:Unfortunately, after trying Firefox for a long while, I have to say that the browser that gives me the least problems is Chrome. I say unfortunately because I plain don't trust google.

I have not tried the safari tech preview beta though. Thought I would give that a whirl....

https://developer.apple.com/safari/technology-preview/
Definitely giving that a shot. D/L now. Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stratology

Post by stratology »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:But sites that fail to load in Safari open instantly in other browsers, so it is also some app specific stuff going on.
To start to find out why that is, I would disable all plug ins and extensions in Safari, and then see what the performance is like. If it's better, re-load plugs and extensions one by one, to see which one slows Safari down. Having more than one ad-blocker, for example, can affect performance.

Chrome has both advantages and disadvantages compared to Safari:
advantages: Flash is built in, no plug in required; and it auto-updates;
disadvantages: does not integrate with Keychain; performance goes down when many windows and tabs are open.
Edit: forgot one: it also uses much more energy (drains your laptop battery faster) than Safari.

Chrome was originally based on Webkit, which is the open source component of Safari. Google later forked it, to build its own Webkit variant.
Last edited by stratology on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Chrome has both advantages and disadvantages compared to Safari:
advantages: Flash is built in, no plug in required; and it auto-updates;
Flash support is already discontinued on many sites and supposedly will work only on Facebook and nine others by the end of the year. Firefox has made similar announcements.
disadvantages: does not integrate with Keychain;
Chrome has its own way of dealing with passwords. Lack of Keychain integration is a non-issue for most of us. performance goes down when many windows and tabs are open.Probably due to the amount of RAM this uses. I am upping my RAM from 20G to 32G in about an hour because of this. I haven't really experienced a difference in web speed due to having a large number of tabs open. Word and other applications do bog down when that happens, though. I posted some tests I ran a few days ago in another thread about this and related topics.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61938

I have a minimum of 100 tabs open on three monitors every day—sometimes as many as 200. Chrome is much, much faster than the same in Firefox or Safari.

Sometimes I close down my work space and have just one window open with a half dozen or so tabs. I do not really notice any real difference in performance when I do so.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stratology

Post by stratology »

Guess we all agree that the faster Flash disappears, the better :)

Starting with Safari 10, plug ins will no longer be loaded by default - good.
(That's all plug ins, not only Flash..).

Chrome has it's own password storage mechanism. The main issue is not only that passwords are not stored in Keychain, but that they are not synced if you have multiple devices. iCloud Keychain is great at that. And, AFAIK, there's no mechanism at all to store and sync credit card information, like Keychain does.
Having its own mechanism rather than using what's already there complicates things unnecessarily, IMHO.

I currently use Chrome as a secondary browser, mainly for legacy sites that still require Flash. This helps avoid the performance and security issues that come with Flash for my main browser.