Multi-quoting posts

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
musicman691

Multi-quoting posts

Post by musicman691 »

Is there a way to multi-quote posts so I can put together a coherent reply that encompasses different posts? Other forums I spend time in have that function but I see no obvious way to do that here (other than copy/paste).
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Multi-quoting posts

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

musicman691 wrote:Is there a way to multi-quote posts so I can put together a coherent reply that encompasses different posts? Other forums I spend time in have that function but I see no obvious way to do that here (other than copy/paste).
Copy and paste using BBC code to tag the post as needed. There may be a problem if you're quoting something several layers deep )(I.E. - Jack quoted Mike, who quoted James who was quoting Shooshie). I think I've seen three levels of quotes possible but I believe there is a limit in the system as to how many you can use in succession.

I generally have two or more windows open in a complex discussion that I want to pull different stuff from. I bounce between the windows as I construct a post like that. I also try to avoid posts like that as they are really confusing when info is being pulled and cherry picked out of context, but I do know that sometimes it is the only way to satisfy one's curio (to quote Tom Hanks in Cloud Atlas.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
musicman691 wrote:Is there a way to multi-quote posts so I can put together a coherent reply that encompasses different posts? Other forums I spend time in have that function but I see no obvious way to do that here (other than copy/paste).
Copy and paste using BBC code to tag the post as needed. There may be a problem if you're quoting something several layers deep )(I.E. - Jack quoted Mike, who quoted James who was quoting Shooshie). I think I've seen three levels of quotes possible but I believe there is a limit in the system as to how many you can use in succession.

I generally have two or more windows open in a complex discussion that I want to pull different stuff from. I bounce between the windows as I construct a post like that. I also try to avoid posts like that as they are really confusing when info is being pulled and cherry picked out of context, but I do know that sometimes it is the only way to satisfy one's curio (to quote Tom Hanks in Cloud Atlas.
Thanks for the response. Guess I'll have to brush up on my BBC code usage as in the past it's been a hit-or-miss proposition for me. One of those things where I think I've got it figured out and the next time I do it - not so much.
MIDI Life Crisis

Using Ctl-opt keys plus a key like q for quote, w for links, p for picture, I for italics, b for r bold, etc. is easy. If the text is selected the key combo will only apply to the select. If there's no selection insert text between the bbc brackets.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Using Ctl-opt keys plus a key like q for quote, w for links, p for picture, I for italics, b for r bold, etc. is easy. If the text is selected the key combo will only apply to the select. If there's no selection insert text between the bbc brackets.
Thanks much.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have QuicKeys routines for all BBC formatting. Quotes, links, graphics, altered fonts, lists, or other formatting is just a key-press for me.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:I have QuicKeys routines for all BBC formatting. Quotes, links, graphics, altered fonts, lists, or other formatting is just a key-press for me.

Shoosh
Which is nice if you have that program - I don't. And for what little I'd use it for (this forum only) the $60 isn't worth it. Thanks anyways for the thought.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

musicman691 wrote:
Shooshie wrote:I have QuicKeys routines for all BBC formatting. Quotes, links, graphics, altered fonts, lists, or other formatting is just a key-press for me.

Shoosh
Which is nice if you have that program - I don't. And for what little I'd use it for (this forum only) the $60 isn't worth it. Thanks anyways for the thought.
Well, I've used QuicKeys since the 1980s. There's hardly an app that I don't have shortcuts set up for, so I'm using it all day, every day, not even aware of what's QK and what's not.

If you don't have a macro app, I recommend it. There's nothing quite like it. There are several these days, but I just use QK.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I've been using Keyboard Maestro for over a year now and it's very unreliable. I won't go into details but I so wish Quickeys could come back. It started failing with Yosemite or so. :(
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've been using Keyboard Maestro for over a year now and it's very unreliable. I won't go into details but I so wish Quickeys could come back. It started failing with Yosemite or so. :(
I haven't had any failures with QuicKeys yet. At least, I don't remember any. I still make new shortcuts periodically, and I'm running it in the very latest version of OS X. Worked fine through Yosemite. There may be some problems with its more advanced features. Most of my shortcuts are just plain menu grabs, keyboard triggers, and a few other odd things. I do have some pretty advanced sequences for turning time-lapse exposures into movies, and those still work. They drag time-lapse pictures out of a Safari window and into a folder, then they rename everything in the folder, then open Quicktime and turn the folder of pictures into a movie. It asks you to specify the number of frames you want before you start. Type in 2500 or so, and it'll sit there and download those pictures for hours. Great for making videos of moving clouds, changing weather, and such. I guess there are a number of other things, too; it's all working.

Shooshie
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've been using Keyboard Maestro for over a year now and it's very unreliable. I won't go into details but I so wish Quickeys could come back. It started failing with Yosemite or so. :(
I've been using Keyboard Maestro for several years now and find it frustrating at times, but at least consistent. When something doesn't work, it consistently doesn't work. At the very least that's better than intermittent problems. I've found work-arounds, but that doesn't make it less of a PIA. I feel your pain. (Quickeys stopped working for me a while back. Don't know why. I thought it was incompatibility with an OS upgrade, but I could have been wrong. That's when I got Keyboard Maestro.)

For multi-quote posts, I just copy paste stuff into Text Edit and compose a post there.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I got Keyboard Maestro, and it seems like there was one other, but they just weren't like QK, so I didn't pursue them. I was worried that QK was going out, because others were reporting it. It never stopped working for me. Of course, I have no idea why it kept working for me and not for others, but I'm happy still to be using it.

Shooshie
frankf

Post by frankf »

KM is certainly capable for what the OP wants to do.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

However sporadically reliable. I still use it because there's no other viable option but it can be very frustrating.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:However sporadically reliable. I still use it because there's no other viable option but it can be very frustrating.
KM or QK?