More on the manual ...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

More on the manual ...

Post by bayswater »

Recently there was a thread on the DP Manual. One of the complaints was that the page number links don't all work any more. Clicking on a page reference in the body of the manual does work, but clicking on a page reference in the index doesn't, for example.

Well, I copied the DP 9 manual into iBooks on my iPad. All the links work there.

So the manual itself has the links, they just don't work in Preview. I tried importing the manual into iBooks for the Mac, but even from iBooks, it opens in Preview, and so the links still don't work. Converting the PDF to EPUB allows the manual to be read in iBooks directly, but the links don't work that way either.

Maybe someone who uses Adobe PDF reader could try this?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: More on the manual ...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Some links are dead in Acrobat. Just typing in the page # will get you there. It's no big deal, IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

No, it's no big deal. But the links did work, and are obviously still there, and should work. It's one more thing that gets in the way by requiring switching between mouse and keyboard.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:So the manual itself has the links, they just don't work in Preview.
I don't know for sure one way or another, but I believe you. There's a reason:

Preview sucks.

I mean, not just a little bit. Preview sucks like my old 1960s Electrolux vacuum, which you can hold to the ceiling, and it'll stay there. Powerful sux, I tells ye.

I used to keep a chart of Preview versions, so that I could keep track of which version did what, and which version could NOT do what. I kept that up to version 4.x, but we're at 8.x, and I can't even recognize the app anymore. Such a disappointment.

(click picture for full size)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:Preview sucks.
Quite likely. It was a wonder when it came out -- no need for loads of Adobe stuff. It may not be responsible for this issue. To check, I just tried out the V8 DP manual. The detailed ToC page links there work as do the index links. Neither of these work in the DP 9 manual. Page references in the body of the manual work in both manuals. Using Preview 8.0.