What does the "Pre" stand for?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What does the "Pre" stand for?

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:Thanks for the vocab lesson Shoosh!
Ah, you're welcome. I usually avoid revealing my sesquipedalian proclivities in public, because... well... it's ok to be smart, but as soon as one proclaims it, it's like proclaiming you're the biggest jerk in the room. So, I just privately revel in the lip-smacking nummy-yummyness of jargon, parlance, vernacular, and the poesy of phraseology. Sometimes I go overboard and spend a long evening making something like, oh, a dictionary or something.

Shooshie's Word Warrior's Lexicon :brucelee:

But usually I just hoard my words, and dive into the word bin like Uncle Scrooge [Disney comics, in his money-bin], salubriating "mine, MINE! They're all MINE!" (I invented that one, I think... salubriate?)

Enjoy the Lexicon, but never, never, never discuss it here! :shake:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'll admit, I was a little confused when MOTU came out with the "8pre" model name. PREviously, their hardware had numbered titles, of which I'm still not sure I fully understand. 828 = 8 ins, 2 mic pres, 8 outs. But 896 = 8 ins, 8 mics, and 8 outs, so that doesn't seem to fit. And the rest I'm lost because I've never used PCI interfaces. As I understand the naming conventions, the 8pre should have been a "082".

Anyway, it sat for many years as the only "pre" interface. One I still own and love dearly. Finally they came out with it's kid brother, the 4pre which has... wait for it... FOUR mic preamps.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Tomas E
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Tomas E »

Since I'm not an English pre-acher I pre-fer to just listen.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Now that's an interesting list there Shooshie. You are well on your way to a dictionary, but might want to add "Trumpism" and "Hillaryism" to stay current.

(Not a politicalarchy, just a list of words)