Upgrading now to El Capitan

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Upgrading now to El Capitan

Post by Shooshie »

Wish me luck. I'm doing the upgrade now.

See you on the other side. If not, assume that it didn't work, and I've sold all my stuff to some street person and am on the way to Tahiti to live out my days painting native girls like Gauguin did.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Re: Upgrading now to El Capitan

Post by bayswater »

I didn't realize Tahiti was the alternative.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OK... the paint goes on the canvass. Just a reminder.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:OK... the paint goes on the canvass. Just a reminder.
Depends on what your canvas is, especially if one works for Sports Illustrated and their swimsuit issue. They had some good ones this year.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Seems to be working.

Heck. So much for Tahiti.

RIP MenuMeters. I already miss ye!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And Snapper, Xtra-finder, and FC Express. Otherwise I don't even think about it. I'm forcing myself to use the Magic Trackpad. Lots of great stuff but I'm lazy about programming. Also miss Quickeys. Kbd Maestro is a disappointment. Looking at alternatives.

Good luck.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

QuicKeys is working fine here. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but my existing shortcuts still work. I've tried several of them, and they simply behave as always. QK starts and runs without any problems. It's on my startup app list (the only one, in fact), and it runs in the background all the time, and always has. Anytime my Mac is on, QK is also running. It's been like that essentially ever since QK was first written, way back in the 1980s, with a brief hiatus shortly after OS X first emerged, until Apple opened up some OS hooks for QK to latch on to. Originally OS X was such a fortress that QK simply couldn't get access to much of it. Once Apple let it in, they were able to do a lot more with it, and now it's pretty much the star of macro apps.

I know a lot of people have said it's not working for them anymore, and I have no idea why, but it simply has not stopped working here.

Shooshie
Last edited by Shooshie on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I tried the dictation feature. Maybe that's been there a while; I don't remember now. It works, but only barely. I had to repeat things many times to get them right, whereas Siri on iOS gets things right first-time and almost every time.

One pleasant surprise was that in the Finder, the Aliases are working again. I like to have instant access to a lot of folders on a lot of different drives. I don't like putting folders full of files on the desktop, especially those which contain many gigabytes of folders and files. Aliases are the only way to do that, and since I don't like plain folder icons, because they tell me nothing at a glance, I put custom icons on them all.

For the past several OS versions, starting with Mavericks I think, this has been difficult. Here were the reasons why:
  • • The aliases ballooned in size to rival the folders they represented, with many aliases reporting that they were 10 or 20 megabytes in size, or larger. Kind of silly when they are linked to folders with a few hundred kilobytes inside.
    • The custom icons often disappeared or would not stick. There was a process you had to go through to get custom icons on an alias that you were copying to another drive. The icons only stayed put if the aliases were located next to the folders they represented. That, of course, makes no sense; why would you need an alias side-by-side with the folder to which it links?
    • Renaming an alias on another drive broke its link to the folder it represented.
Now, in El Capitan (10.11.4), I can create an alias easily (Command-L), then Command-Drag it to the Desktop to move it there, deleting it from its original location. Custom icons stay put, and you can rename the alias without breaking the links. Some aliases now are as small as 160KB, whereas before the fix they may have been tens of megabytes. I'm not sure what the size is based on. Some are still pretty large, and inexplicably so. But at least they are working for folders.

Aliases for files (as opposed to folders) are still broken in one respect: they will not show an icon for picture files. That makes it awfully hard to browse a folder full of aliases to files. Will Apple ever get their aliases back to normal? Some programmer is either incredibly stupid, or his boss is. Why would they do this to aliases? It simply makes no sense!

At least Folder Aliases are working for now. I probably should restart the computer and see if they are STILL there! But they appear to be working again, which is a huge relief.

Shooshie
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I've read about your various adventures with folder aliases for a long time now. I never had those problems except that I couldn't give them a custom icon anymore.

I did notice that, with 10.11, icon aliases for FileMaker, Word, Excel files etc. now display correctly—about time, too.

In my day job, I couldn't stay organized if folder aliases stopped working properly. I keep a couple dozen on my desktop and use five or six every day.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Some more observations, most of which have been made here many times, so I'm just reaffirming what most already know. There are a few questions that I've never seen answered here, so I'll be doing that below.

• There have been a few apps (games mostly, which I rarely play anyway) which seemed broken at first, but after downloading them again from the App Store and reinstalling them, they work fine.

End of the Widgets. [EDIT: NOT REALLY. See down below.] I used to play Reversi in the "Dashboard" but it appears to be gone now. Not just Reversi, but the entire dashboard.

Wallander Instruments and the WIVI Interface ARE WORKING! Nobody has really answered that question, though I've asked it several times. Now I can tell you that it's working. I took a chance on that one. If it had turned up broken, I don't know what I'd have done.

VSL Standalone App (Pro version) is working as always.

Spaces still works, but there is a slight extra step. Now, when you invoke Mission Control, you don't immediately see the desktops of the different spaces. Instead, you see their names across the top of the screen. Move the mouse to that band at the top of the screen, and the names turn into screenshots of their desktops. Dragging windows to them from DP still works the same way.

• DP still works! Of course, everyone has been saying so; I just had to find out for myself. My instruments and plugins appear to be working within it.

Notes required upgrading to see my notes from iCloud. Now I have to upgrade my iOS devices, too. I keep a lot of important information in Notes. Important to me, anyway. Not passwords anything like that, but research from ongoing projects and past projects, lists, etc.

• Split Screen is nice. I'm using it now. There is a delay when accessing the Dock from apps in split screen mode.

• My most important apps all seem to be working just fine, except for MenuMeters. I really miss that, but I'm glad there weren't more problems.

Shoosh
Last edited by Shooshie on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Oh right. I've lost a widget or two, but the Weather widget? Really?! There are alternatives, but that is so basic. RE: QK... some shortcuts worked but it was unreliable. Actually not as unreliable as Kbd Maestro... <sigh>
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Dashboard is not dead. It is hiding by default. Here is how to re-enable Dashboard in the Mission Control preferences panel.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/10/02 ... l-capitan/
• Notes required upgrading to see my notes from iCloud. Now I have to upgrade my iOS devices, too. …
Yes.

Now you will be able to lock and unlock selected Notes. Whether you use that feature or not is up to you but I like it.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mikehalloran wrote:The Dashboard is not dead. It is hiding by default. Here is how to re-enable Dashboard in the Mission Control preferences panel.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/10/02 ... l-capitan/
• Notes required upgrading to see my notes from iCloud. Now I have to upgrade my iOS devices, too. …
Yes.

Now you will be able to lock and unlock selected Notes. Whether you use that feature or not is up to you but I like it.
Ah, great! Thanks. I forgot that I already did that a few versions ago. Shoulda known it just needed the same treatment again.

Shooshie
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Good news about the alias size, Shoosh. It's beginning to annoy me (Mavericks); I use a lot of folder ones, but none for files or apps.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:... Xtra-finder...
Nooo!!! Not my beloved!

Oh man. A choice between being able to run AVB ethernet or XtraFinder.

Thankfully it's still a little ways away, the AVB upgrade, and I think I only need to go to Yosemite, but I'd figured I'd take the opportunity to move to 10.11.4 seeing as there'd theoretically be the same inconvenience involved...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Mike Halloran,
Do you know how to stop the incessant running of the fan? It started doing that in my last Yosemite update, and it's been running constantly for about 2 weeks. It rarely used to come on at all. In fact, that was one reason I upgraded to El Capitan, hoping that it would fix the continuous fan noise. It didn't fix it.

I seem to remember this in a discussion around here recently, but I couldn't find it. Got any Terminal routines or other tricks to bring the fan back to more reasonable levels?

Shoosh