Wireless Guitar

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wireless Guitar

Post by bayswater »

I'm thinking about a wireless connection for guitar. Needs are simple. One guitar at a time, one destination, short distances. The Line6 G10 looks like an obvious choice, except it doesn't looks like it would plug directly into a strat, but I don't know a lot about these or wireless guitar transmitters in general. Any advice would be appreciated.

http://line6.com/relay/g10/
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Re: Wireless Guitar

Post by mikehalloran »

The Line 6 looks like it plugs into a Strat. I can't believe that anyone would design a system that couldn't.

I like that it auto-selects a clear frequency.

It claims to mimic the capacitance loading of a cable—not what it says but that's what it means. For me, one of the advantages of wireless is that, without cable capacitance, tone is consistent at any volume setting.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

The problem is the weird size of the gizmo shell - it may not fit in the jackplate well on a Strat. Hard to say considering the shape of it.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:The problem is the weird size of the gizmo shell - it may not fit in the jackplate well on a Strat. Hard to say considering the shape of it.
That was my thought. Hard to believe it wouldn't work with a Strat, but that's what it looks like. I could always make a short patch cable.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:
musicman691 wrote:The problem is the weird size of the gizmo shell - it may not fit in the jackplate well on a Strat. Hard to say considering the shape of it.
That was my thought. Hard to believe it wouldn't work with a Strat, but that's what it looks like. I could always make a short patch cable.
Just like a dongle buddy but then you've got this thing hanging out there banging into your guitar and dinging it up. Or you make the cable long enough so it can go between the strap and guitar at the back of the guitar like people used to do to keep their cords from coming unplugged (then it whacks into your gut). Not a pretty solution either way.