Of Mice and Trackpads

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Of Mice and Trackpads

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Disclaimer: If you are looking for a "point" to this post, stop reading now. It's a rabid rant on the state of available quality mice on the market. No more; no less.

It's no surprise to those who know me that I love my Logitech MX Revolution mouse. It is truly a thing of beauty from an ergonomic standpoint.

About 11 easily accessible and programmable buttons (Steer Mouse driver since the Logitech drivers are horrible). This is my first rebuild of the mouse since a button switch went south. I found the switch online and it took about 10 minutes to replace it.

The mouse (out of production, of course) can sometimes be found on Amazon and eBay for upwards of $250 (it retailed for $79 or 99). I found a used one on Craig's list for $30 and have backup parts for a long time. Still, the old girl is getting long in the tooth and I started looking to replace her.

Naturally I looked to Logitech and their new flagship MX Master, which on the surface looks like the successor to the MX Revolution at a similar price point. No brainier... right? WRONG!

I snagged one at Fry's yesterday and while it tracked smooth as silk and felt great in the hand, it had only 5 active, programmable buttons and no side to side scroll wheel functions. Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

This was a deal breaker; returned and my $100 back to my credit card. I have each of the nearly dozen buttons on the Revolution programmed for unique functions in different apps. It is essential when I'm in Finale and extremely convenient for this pianist's modes of dexterity. I get a lot done by a simple mouse click or two in most programs, but with this mouse on the way down and no viable replacement(s) on the horizon, I'm looking very closely at the Magic Trackpad as the only viable option (thank you, Shooshie).

I have Better Touch Tool and once the swipes and wipes and finger salutes are all programmed in, it would appear this little square piece of aluminum can handle my most complex mousing tasks. Still, I love the feeling of the MX Rev in my hand and the wiring to my brain has made the movements second nature.

There are some interesting gaming mice out there. I saw one (for $150) that had a dozen programmable buttons on the left side (thumb side for me) and the problem there is tilting the scroll wheel my thumb invariably hits one of those 12 buttons. It might give me more control, but hitting those buttons every time I use the scroll wheel to tilt is, again, a deal breaker. They look something like this:

Logitech does have their MX Performance mouse but it lacks the side wheel (which is loosing 3 buttons from the Revolution) and the scroll wheel "clutch" function is controlled by a non-programmable button on the top of the mouse (now we're 4 buttons down). The Revolution has an actual "clutch" that automatically goes into "free-wheeling" (as opposed to notched) mode for fast scrolling large areas/documents, etc. Again, for me that is like cutting off my mouse's head and four limbs, leaving me to tap only on it's shoulders and being able to pull it's tail and that's pretty much it.

Well, as I said at the top, there's no point to all this, just rant about the state of the rodents that are available, or not! I'll try another rebuild this week and if I can find new feet (gliders) or some makeshift replacement, that would go a long way to making this old girl track better. There are replacement gliders available but they don't have replacements for the Revolution gliders and the others don't quite fit exactly and tracking can be... problematic at times.

There! I feel better. (Not really...) If there is a point is might be this: is it wrong for man to be in love with a mouse? I mean, we're inseparable for much of the day and she jest feels right, or as Dory would say: when I'm with here, I feel home. The trackpad feels more like I'm talking to her ghost and that's a little scary...

OK, NOW I'm done... unless anyone speaks Mouse, or Whale...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Re: Of Mice and Trackpads

Post by kgdrum »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: If there is a point is might be this: is it wrong for man to be in love with a mouse? I mean, we're inseparable for much of the day and she jest feels right, or as Dory would say: when I'm with her, I feel home.
if you had any idea the image this just gave me..............
I think we both need therapy,lol

:shock:
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Though I've just been keeping things REALLY simple with an old intellimouse (and I bought a back up for $10 that I haven't touched), I have considered and even tried several alternatives that I've returned.

I could probably get used to the workflow of other mice, perhaps even the magic trackpad. But I have a pretty specific set of wants from whatever my next mouse is going to be.

First, it will have to have a good driver (or be compatible with Steer Mouse--- I'm so thankful for that software!!) I'd like it to have vertical and horizontal wheels that have both standard scroll and press-scroll (for zooming). I need more buttons than I have (currently 5). And really good tracking.

I actually kind of liked the tiny scroll-ball that was in one of the older apple mice as it combined vertical and horizontal scrolling pretty elegantly. But the rest of that mouse was stupid, including weird buttons on the side that seemed to be triggered by frustration or panic, but not intention. Even the main click was a little odd.

Second, I don't want a trackball or a trackpad. I know people are doing well with them. It's just not for me. I don't like how it feels, with a mouse I'm the boss. With a touch surface I feel like the machine is the boss.

Some of the gaming mice seem intriguing, but I'm more or less waiting for someone on this forum to give some new great mouse the DP road test.

I know Shooshie has had a very positive experience with the magic trackpad-- and I can understand why. Maybe I'll give one a try some day. The one on my RMBP doesn't really excite me about the possibilities.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

All I can say is that I hear you loud and clear.

I own a Logitech MX Revolution mouse, primarily because of your recommendation. It lives up to its reputation. I think it's a wonderful mouse.

What it finally came down to for me was limits. Hardware-based solutions have limits. Software based solutions are much more flexible, and in the case of the Magic Trackpad (with JiTouch software) you can program more commands for each application than you ever are likely to need. That, combined with breathtakingly fine "weighted" scrolling, sealed the deal for me. The Magic Trackpad is like speaking sign language to your app; you soon are doing it without thinking about it. The interface (trackpad) simply disappears.

Shoosh

PS: I named my Magic Trackpad Minky, the Sorcerer's Apprentice.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse™. $10 new. Bought 3. Vertical-scroll "wheel" and 2 "buttons" (split top surface). Pathetic, but gets the job done.

Mike's Logitech MX Revolution looks absolutely awesome, especially from the perspective of using the one I do...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here