Finding Your Way Around Kontakt Files

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Finding Your Way Around Kontakt Files

Post by bayswater »

I don't use Kontakt that much, but have a collection of useful Kontakt instruments gathered from various sources that nothing else will play.

When K5 loads them it just about always tells me something is missing, either the sample files or a .nkr file. These are always in the same place as the .nki file, and everything I have for K5 is in the same general folder, but I have to go through the K5 process to locate missing files.

Once the files are found and the instrument is playing, I've tried using Save as... to resave instruments hoping K5 will be able to find them next time, but it never does -- it tells me they are missing every time.

How do you go about getting K5 to remember file locations?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Finding Your Way Around Kontakt Files

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Same thing here. I usually rescan or reset the library in the host (Kontakt or M5) and that often solves it, but sometimes not.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:How do you go about getting K5 to remember file locations?
It sounds like you might need to rebuild the Kontakt database.

MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

These are not libraries in Kontakt's parlance. And I haven't figured out how to reference these instruments in the database. I read that section in the manual, but it was like reading the Kama Sutra in Sanskrit. Will defining them somehow in the database help?
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:These are not libraries in Kontakt's parlance. And I haven't figured out how to reference these instruments in the database. I read that section in the manual, but it was like reading the Kama Sutra in Sanskrit. Will defining them somehow in the database help?
Those that are not official Libraries (I have several) will not show up in the Libraries tab of course, but do properly load from the Files tab provided I've scanned the proper locations.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

billf wrote:Those that are not official Libraries (I have several) will not show up in the Libraries tab of course, but do properly load from the Files tab provided I've scanned the proper locations.
OK thanks, that makes sense.

But when you move something, how do you get Kontakt to refer to the new location? E.g., I have piano in K5 format. K5 thinks an .nkr file in that patch is on an external drive thumb drive. I copied it to the same folder as the nki file, and resaved the patch using Save as... But it still thinks the nkr file is on the thumb drive.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

bays, you can try batch resave also.

I'm constantly scanning the " missing files ". batch resave , usually helps- though you have to point to the correct file, or subfile.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tonio wrote:bays, you can try batch resave also.

I'm constantly scanning the " missing files ". batch resave , usually helps- though you have to point to the correct file, or subfile.
OK, I'll try that. I avoided it earlier because you get warning to do a backup first, leading me to believe bad things can happen.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Based on my MFive experience, and my memory's being tested here, I seem to recall that the requirement for the .nkr files to either be contained in the relevant Sample folders or one level up switched from one to the other.

IOW, and I realise it may be a long shot, Stoivo, if they're in the Sample folders, maybe try moving them into the parent ones, and if in the latter locations, shifting them into the Sample folders.

You never know. Could be worth a stab.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Based on my MFive experience, and my memory's being tested here, I seem to recall that the requirement for the .nkr files to either be contained in the relevant Sample folders or one level up switched from one to the other.

IOW, and I realise it may be a long shot, Stoivo, if they're in the Sample folders, maybe try moving them into the parent ones, and if in the latter locations, shifting them into the Sample folders.

You never know. Could be worth a stab.
I'll try anything. I never liked Kontakt, and this was one of the reasons.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Never liked it... and never even tried it! LOL

True 'though.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here