Arturia Keylab 88 (love it!)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Arturia Keylab 88 (love it!)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Maybe their trying to make your style more fluid?

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe their trying to make your style more fluid?

Oh! There's where they succeeded, greatly!
Or maybe they thought I needed the exercise. It's been a long time since I picked up a K2600 and held it upside down to shake out the liquid under the keys! I forgot that they weigh over 70 lbs.!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Maybe their trying to make your style more fluid?

Oh! There's where they succeeded, greatly!
Or maybe they thought I needed the exercise. It's been a long time since I picked up a K2600 and held it upside down to shake out the liquid under the keys! I forgot that they weigh over 70 lbs.!
Do you have the 88 key version? If so hope none of the liquid got into the action itself.

I get more than a little paranoid when my almost 4 year old cat gets frisky and decides to climb up on my stuff, especially when I'm not around. It likes to jump up on my keyboard bench and walk across my Motif. In those cases I learned to leave up a loud sound on the system so that when he walks across the keys he spooks and jumps off. I too learned the hard way about beverages and the keyboard and a cat (it involved a glass of Mr. Daniels's finest).
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Might be time for disassembly and parts wash of the keyboard Shoosh, preferably before the Coke solidifies and your action becomes sluggish.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

HCMarkus wrote:Might be time for disassembly and parts wash of the keyboard Shoosh, preferably before the Coke solidifies and your action becomes sluggish.
Yes; some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and contact cleaner work are in order. The sugar when it hardens can be a real bear to clean out. I'd also get a can of compressed air (but watch out for possible freon in the can) to blow dry things after the wet cycle.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

In the location on the keyboard where the spill took place, there is nothing under the keys. I was ready to take it apart until I realized this. I turned it over and the remainder dripped back out; there wasn't much. It seems to be working fine now. There was never any interruption of operation. I'd call that luck; next time might not be so lucky. But there won't be a next time. I now keep a pad over it which people use in kennels and animal cages to absorb... er... liquids. It'll take a whole glass of water without losing a drop.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:In the location on the keyboard where the spill took place, there is nothing under the keys. I was ready to take it apart until I realized this. I turned it over and the remainder dripped back out; there wasn't much. It seems to be working fine now. There was never any interruption of operation. I'd call that luck; next time might not be so lucky. But there won't be a next time. I now keep a pad over it which people use in kennels and animal cages to absorb... er... liquids. It'll take a whole glass of water without losing a drop.

Shoosh
Good idea with the puppy pads. Must be fun explaining that when you have people over :D
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Back to the topic at hand:
Surfed around YouTube for videos/reviews of this keyboard and ran into one where a fellow had one for a year and has several issues with dead or near dead pushbutton switches and keys. To get them to react he has to push way hard on the buttons or hit the keys with high velocity (127) to get them to react and transmit MIDI. Had several back and forths with Arturia support and no joy. Here's a link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQ3IMMKEiE

The audio quality isn't the best after he mounts the camera on a stand but cranked up you can hear what he's talking about.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

daniel.sneed wrote:When we're at it: *some* keyboards' pitch bend DO NOT return to perfect 0.
That is to say each time you make a bend, your tuning gets off by a few cents. And that is a real pita...
All my Rolly controllers over the years have done this. Stuck with my 30-year-old A-50 as nothing else has offered the MIDI and pedal I/O, joystick-plus-pitch-and-modwheel and poly AT combination I require. Such a pity.

My guess is that the oxidation of the contacts, coupled with the ever-loosening tension of the RTZ springs and the super-fine resolution of the MIDI pitch spec conspire to give this result. Had the spec defined only 128 increments as is the case for most (all?) other CCs, this ever-varying and slight deviation might've been quantised to 64 (which would have been the "0" point), but the stair-stepped pitch bends would've driven us nuts.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I just hate it when mod wheels spring back to center position. Put a notch in so you can find it but most often I want to maintain the mod wheel setting and free my hand up for something else.
I didn't know there were mod wheels out there that centred, Magilla. Surely you mean pitch? There are no negative mod values, and making 64 the zero point would wreak havoc with the way most hardware and VIs' synth engines operate.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
bayswater wrote:
daniel.sneed wrote:When we're at it: *some* keyboards' pitch bend DO NOT return to perfect 0.
That is to say each time you make a bend, your tuning gets off by a few cents. And that is a real pita...
My K2000 did that. But a shot of isopropyl alcohol fixes it.
Two shots and you can't tell the difference between any two notes (nor do you care).
Ha! Magilla's still got it. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here