Zappa Archive Kickstarter

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Zappa Archive Kickstarter

Post by cuttime »

Warning! Contains 4 letter words and just a smidgen of politics that must be ignored:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/al ... rank-zappa
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
BKK-OZ

Re: Zappa Archive Kickstarter

Post by BKK-OZ »

I agree that Zappa was pretty important and his work must be conserved, but this KS appeal gives me the creeps.

First, this seems like a commercial venture, they will no doubt monetize the material and their movie, so they should be able to raise the money through normal development processes.

Second, the Zappa catalogue must still be earning, why isn't this being funded through those means?

I dunno, maybe I am being too harsh here, but I just don't feel good about this one.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

BKK-OZ wrote: I just don't feel good about this one.
I agree, but from what I can ascertain, this has the full support of the Zappa family and estate, which I assume means Dweezil and Moon Unit, since the recent death of Gail.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Frank was a good capitalist, and he made a fine pile in his lifetime, certainly enough to pay for development of this project. Celebrities crowdfunding their next money-maker is pretty creepy.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

cuttime wrote:Warning! Contains 4 letter words and just a smidgen of politics that must be ignored:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/al ... rank-zappa
Words? Politics?

I saw none that were offensive! :dance:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Wow. You guys seem to still think music sales are financially remunerative. Zappa NEVER sold a lot of records.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Frank's estimated net worth was $40 million when he died, his wife's net worth estimated currently at $20 million.

I think they can afford to set up the archive without a contributioon from me.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/riches ... net-worth/
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Clearly he made money. He was an astute business man. But his records never sold a lot. Miles Davis' records never sold a lot. There's a difference between the totality of investment and sales.

I think they have the right to do a Kickstarter. Those who want to contribute do and those who don't don't.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

It seems to me if you admire an artist you should contribute to the artist by purchasing his art or investing in him or his organization. That's me though. Not meaning to start a fight. And I won't. I'm just saying.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
All the best,

Henry Robinett

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Well, it's all moot. They've reached their goal.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

The real issue with Kickstarter is people no longer buy music. So most people I know who do it is to seek an avenue to make money or return of creative investment.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
All the best,

Henry Robinett

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Kids don't let your kids grow up to be Zappas:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/busin ... heirs.html
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Henry Robinett wrote:It seems to me if you admire an artist you should contribute to the artist...
When I get to heaven, I will buy Frank a beer.

In the meantime, I don't feel like I owe his kids or their corporate family trust anything.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

BKK-OZ wrote:When I get to heaven, I will buy Frank a beer.
Frank is in heaven? Great. Now I'll never see him.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:When I get to heaven, I will buy Frank a beer.
Frank is in heaven? Great. Now I'll never see him.
:rofl: :rofl:
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku