Zappa Archive Kickstarter

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Henry Robinett »

BKK-OZ wrote:
Henry Robinett wrote:It seems to me if you admire an artist you should contribute to the artist...
When I get to heaven, I will buy Frank a beer.

In the meantime, I don't feel like I owe his kids or their corporate family trust anything.
So does that mean you think it's ok to steal his music? He set up, with Gail, his financial corporate entity and trust. That's still his and how he designed it. If one gets his music I think one should pay the fees in accordance with the wishes of the artist. However the trust was set up that's none of our business. Frank was VERY protective of his intellectual property.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
BKK-OZ

Re: Zappa Archive Kickstarter

Post by BKK-OZ »

Henry Robinett wrote:So does that mean you think it's ok to steal his music?...I think one should pay the fees in accordance with the wishes of the artist.
Step off, mate, you are out of line here.

Please show me where I advocated piracy. Ever.

This topic is about a Kickstarter, for a project not started by the dead artist Frank, but by the very wealthy trust he left behind - which, unlike many living artists, doesn't need to crowd source funds.

If I want Frank's music, or anyone's music for that matter, I respect their wishes viz. copyright. If someone wants me to make a donation, the cause needs to be worthy and the need genuine. In this case, I have no problem with the cause, but these cats do not have a genuine need for money.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Seems they reached the funding goal. While it does seem a bit creepy, I suggest a closer reading of the detailed Q&As. It's a little more nuanced than some of the above comments imply.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

https://m.facebook.com/notes/ahmet-zapp ... 213097309/

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

BKK-OZ wrote:
Henry Robinett wrote:So does that mean you think it's ok to steal his music?...I think one should pay the fees in accordance with the wishes of the artist.
Step off, mate, you are out of line here.

Please show me where I advocated piracy. Ever.

This topic is about a Kickstarter, for a project not started by the dead artist Frank, but by the very wealthy trust he left behind - which, unlike many living artists, doesn't need to crowd source funds.

If I want Frank's music, or anyone's music for that matter, I respect their wishes viz. copyright. If someone wants me to make a donation, the cause needs to be worthy and the need genuine. In this case, I have no problem with the cause, but these cats do not have a genuine need for money.
You have no idea what kind of need "these people have for money." And I don't need to step off. I was asking a question.

And asking for compensation for work artistic or other does not necessarily relate to "need for money". It's fair exchange. And as I said earlier with the music business in such confusion Kickstarter is a reasonable solution to seeking fair exchange for artistic musical work, especially recordings where revenue has dipped into the negative, even for the Zappas I'd guess.
All the best,

Henry Robinett