Waves Abbey Road EMT140 plate reverb

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
musicman691

Waves Abbey Road EMT140 plate reverb

Post by musicman691 »

Anybody here using this new reverb from Waves? If so how's your cpu usage going? Over on the DUC people are seeing huge cpu hits like 6 times the cpu usage with it versus TSAR1 or Reverberate 2. This is with a simple session of just a click track and the reverb. Like this:
In PT 12.4:
No insert: 0%
Click II: 1% total, 0% on all cores
Click II and Abbey Plate Mono: variable 14-18% total, 10-11% on Core 4
Click II and Abbey Plate Mono-to-stereo: variable 33-40% total, 22-24% on Core 4
Comparison:
Click II and Reverberate 2 Stereo: 7% total, 4% on Core 4
Click II and TSAR1: 6% total, 4% on Core 4

Hesitant to spend money on something that for a single instance has this big of a cpu hit. I know reverbs can be a cpu hog but the comparison numbers between reverb plugins is something else. I like a good plate reverb on drums and piano and the sound is gorgeous on this one.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Waves Abbey Road EMT140 plate reverb

Post by Gravity Jim »

It is gorgeous, and it is a massive CPU hit (thanks, Waves), even on my 12-core 3.33ghz. I just used it on a harpsichord sample and it completely brought the sample to life... but I decided to freeze the track. I could always go back and redo the freeze if it didn't sit in the mix as expected, but this time it did, so easy-peasy.

I love the sound, but I'm thinking I'll always have to dial it in, freeze it and ditch it ASAP.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Gravity Jim wrote:It is gorgeous, and it is a massive CPU hit (thanks, Waves), even on my 12-core 3.33ghz. I just used it on a harpsichord sample and it completely brought the sample to life... but I decided to freeze the track. I could always go back and redo the freeze if it didn't sit in the mix as expected, but this time it did, so easy-peasy.

I love the sound, but I'm thinking I'll always have to dial it in, freeze it and ditch it ASAP.
Ouch. On that machine of your there should be no problem. That means the one in my sig file won't even stand a chance. I like to leave a reverb live as I work through the rest of the mix and not muck about with track freeze (historically I've not had consistent good luck with track freeze functions in any daw).

'Tis a shame as I generally like the Waves Abbey Road plugins but until they take care of this cpu hit business I might well pass but then I'll miss the low entry price.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

It ran fine, but it was eating about 35-40% of my CPU. So I froze the track in self-defense. I probably could have finished the piece leaving the 'verb live. But it just looked like it might be a problem down the road (the harpsichord part was the first to be recorded).
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Gravity Jim wrote:It ran fine, but it was eating about 35-40% of my CPU. So I froze the track in self-defense. I probably could have finished the piece leaving the 'verb live. But it just looked like it might be a problem down the road (the harpsichord part was the first to be recorded).
Thanks for the insite. Lucky guy - getting to record a harpsichord. Love the sound but never got to play a real one.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

I'm just wondering if you're running everything in pre-gen mode or not. I don't have the plug, so can't share any personal experience. Just curious.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm running everything in real-time.
Jim Bordner

musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Downloaded the demo and boy am I glad I did. 6 tracks of piano with each having their own instance of the plugin and my machine flirted with failing. Add one more track and let's just say I shouldn't have. Single instance was about 25% overall cpu usage. As comparison Reverberate2 was about a fifth of that cpu usage-wise. Also AR Plates was about 10 dB hotter on input versus R2 for the same send level.

Think I'm going to stay with what I have now which is a shame as I really like the sound of AR Plates with one caveat other than the cpu usage - it does take some tweaking (read a lot of tweaking) from the presets to get a good sound. And right now from Audio Deluxe it's like $79 US.