Rest In Peace, Bernie Torelli (Nomad Factory)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Rest In Peace, Bernie Torelli (Nomad Factory)

Post by James Steele »

The text below is quoted from the post here: https://www.facebook.com/Plugivery/post ... 71318389:0

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the passing of our friend and partner Bernie Torelli, founder of Nomad Factory, after a courageous 3 year battle with cancer. Bernie passed away peacefully at home with his family at his side on January 18th 2016, at the age of 60.

We all knew Bernie as an exceptional musician, producer, and audio plug-in developer who inspired the entire audio community with his work. He was a pioneer in his field, creating his first plug-in over 20 years ago when DAWs really started to replace hardware recording gear in professional recording studios. At the time, Bernie was recording major artists in France, Canada and the USA, while also working as a respected sound engineer with renowned musicians such as Stanley Clark. Bunny Brunel, Tony MacAlpine and Brian Auger just to name a few.

Bernie was also an amazing guitarist who recorded and toured with renown artists including legendary French singer/songwriter Michel Polnareff.

Nomad Factory plug-ins have been used on numerous Grammy Award albums over the years due particularly to the warmth and richness in sound they provide and their realistic analog feel. Nomad Factory plug-ins include “Liquid Bundle”, Essential Series”, “Analog Signature” and the famous “BlueTubes” series that received incredible success in the late 90’s, and still are today amongst their best selling software.

Emulating hardware products was never an option for our partner who felt such software offers very little comparison with the original products. When asked about emulating famous audio hardware, Bernie used to say laughing, “It’s ONLY marketing BS! The designs look like the original, but that’s it!”

Nevertheless, our friend was incredible at emulating the physical sound characteristics offered by tubes, transistors and other physical components delivered by analog gear. He totally mastered the art of fine tuning his software so that they met/meet the highest levels of sound quality required by the most demanding artists and sound engineers of the industry. Some of Nomad Factory’s products do refer to legendary audio hardware that he owned and loved using, but he always refused to emulate these for marketing purposes.

In early 2010, Nomad Factory launched it’s incredibly successful “Magnetics Bundle” which is a fantastic collection that includes 3 innovative sub products (Magnetic, Echoes and Cosmos), acclaimed by all audio professionals. Magma is also an incredible product that contains no less than 65 credible plug-ins, but it was perhaps launched ahead of time as it didn’t meet the expected success.

Our friend Bernie also largely contributed in the development of our Plug and Mix brand which received incredible success with the “V.I.P. Bundle” and more recently the “Pro Series” plug-ins reflecting his vision of modern software.

Over the past few years, new and talented developers joined Nomad Factory to assist Bernie in the development of new products planned by him while he was under heavy treatments fighting his cancer. Up until his last few days, our friend and partner remained a present figure to support the team and fine tune the latest Nomad innovations.

As part of his legacy, Bernie left tons of ideas and concepts for the future of the Nomad Factory company. He made sure the developers are well trained to keep-up with the brand’s development; assuring the continuing quality and integrity of upcoming products. We are proud to announce that our partner has left us with many new Nomad products that are almost ready to launch!

It is with great sadness that we at Plugivery join Bernie’s family in mourning the loss of a great musician and a pioneer in the audio plug-in world. May they be blessed, with our condolences, and find peace in these difficult times.

Rest in peace Bernie !

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Re: Rest In Peace, Bernie Torelli (Nomad Factory)

Post by Shooshie »

So sad to hear that. I liked Bernie and I loved his plugins.

That picture is great. He seems to be out in "the wild," but then you see the power cord. He'd probably like that picture.

Rest in peace, Bernie. Your legacy is secure, and you've done so much.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Upgraded my copy of Integral Studio a couple years ago during his initial bout with cancer.
Sad to hear, I suppose another couple years is always good. Hopefully he got some joy out of them.

Glad to hear his company isn't disappearing.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah.... it's a shame. I got to know him a little via email and then some in person chats at NAMM. He was always such a nice guy and he'd go out of his way to help his customers as well. I remember doing a mix session at my friend's studio in LA and I realized I wanted to use a particular plug that my friend didn't have.... I think it was Magnetic. I shot him an email (or was it a text?) with my predicament and he immediately got an authorization for my friend so we could finish the mix that night, because it had to be finished in time for NAMM.

Really just a warm and friendly person every time I'd see him at NAMM.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

That is sad. The audio industry has lost a lot of really nice people who have had a big impact on the industry, these past couple of years.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

mhschmieder wrote:That is sad. The audio industry has lost a lot of really nice people who have had a big impact on the industry, these past couple of years.
I think that's indicative of the age of "the industry." We all started more or less when it did. We're all getting up to that age, you know?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|