Heads up: Melodyne 4 is supposed to drop today.

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Heads up: Melodyne 4 is supposed to drop today.

Post by mhschmieder »

Good question. I haven't really compared them yet. Maybe the user manual explains any differences in what features aren't available due to being in plug-in mode? The differences between plug-in and standalone appear to be across the product tier structure now vs. the previous confusing situation where there were all sorts of bizarre intersection sets of features and upgrades.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Scroll down on this page for a chart that compares the various versions of Melodyne. Sound editing and quantizing one track with the info from another are among the features in Studio.

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/edi ... al-matters
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

so the partial editing is a major feature of v4 and its only on studio. Seems like that is one of the major updates to Melodyne v4, hard to see why bother upgrading to V4 unless upgrading to studio.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dewdman42 wrote:so the partial editing is a major feature of v4 and its only on studio. Seems like that is one of the major updates to Melodyne v4, hard to see why bother upgrading to V4 unless upgrading to studio.
Yes, the upgrade price, at least for me is only $50 more for studio over editor, so that's probably what I'll do if I update at all. They don't seem have done much with the basic pitch functions. Once I got over the wow, it wasn't that clear just how useful in practise partial editing would be over a good EQ.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

The main advantage of the partial editing is that you can tweak the timbre of of a voice in a way that it will supposedly maintain that timbre across different notes. EQ is fixed in frequency, the partial thing adjusts up or down with each note... Intrigues me... But I'm not at all sure its worth $50 bucks just for that....and actually I'm not sure I need to upgrade Melodyne at all to be honest, just kind of investigating right now...
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

dewdman42 wrote:so the partial editing is a major feature of v4 and its only on studio. Seems like that is one of the major updates to Melodyne v4, hard to see why bother upgrading to V4 unless upgrading to studio.
Upgrading Editor or Editor 2 to E-4 now includes the plugin in addition to faster workflow, 64bit operation and improved detection. There may be other improvements; I don't know.

So, while upgrading Editor to Editor 4 isn't the bargain that upgrading to Studio is, I can see why some users would do this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah but the question was about plug-in vs. standalone (desktop).

Due to how the product tiering used to work, I think people are continuously conflating the plug-in vs. standalone and editor vs. studio distinctions in this thread.

The chart doesn't show the plug-in vs. standalone differences; just whether plug-in mode is supported by a particular version.

I'm not likely to get around to doing the full plug-in vs. standalone comparison tonight, as I'm backed up on too many more important things.

I am curious, however, because if it turns out the standalone version either does a better job or has important features missing from the plug-in version, I'll switch gears and start dragging results into DP from off-line standalone processing vs. tracking through a buss in DP to a new audio track (or saving to MIDI).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I haven't seen anything in the material that suggests there are any differences between plugin and standalone. It is presented as a plugin that comes with a standalone version. What did you see?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:I haven't seen anything in the material that suggests there are any differences between plugin and standalone. It is presented as a plugin that comes with a standalone version. What did you see?
I don't see how the Studio plugin handles many of the features of the stand-alone including the multi-track — but the web site says that it can be done.

Here's the page of tutorials. There's a lot to get through.
http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc-2/?ed ... tPage=true
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:I haven't seen anything in the material that suggests there are any differences between plugin and standalone. It is presented as a plugin that comes with a standalone version. What did you see?
I don't see how the Studio plugin handles many of the features of the stand-alone including the multi-track — but the web site says that it can be done.

Here's the page of tutorials. There's a lot to get through.
http://helpcenter.celemony.com/hc-2/?ed ... tPage=true
I assume you put the plugin on multiple tracks and the instances communicate.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, right, I think the multi-track mode is what is unique to standalone, except that it can be done as multiple plug-ins -- was that what the bridge was about? I forget, as I haven't needed it for years but am afraid to delete it in case it's still needed for something I just haven't been using lately.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I finally tripped up Melodyne v4, but it would have been quite surprising if the track in question had done well.

One of my old jazz songs from the 80's was unfortunately recorded through a Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus amp.

Not only that, but I forgot to tune the guitar first, or maybe my tuning fork (all I had 30+ years ago) was somewhat sensitive to New England winter conditions and wasn't accurate?

At any rate, Melodyne created an unusable view of this track that was jumping all over the place trying to chase modulations that weren't actual notes. :-)

I may see whether some of the de-reverb plug-ins out there are also capable of removing or reducing the Jazz Chorus amp effect.

If so, it would just be for educational purposes, as I don't like my original jazz guitar line for that song anyway and would rather create something new that is more authentically Brasilian than my rather naive sheltered 24 year old's confined view from one Stan Getz bossa nova album. :-)

dpdan

Post by dpdan »

this is an email I sent to Celemony... a few wekks ago when 4 was released...
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
I purchased Melodyne on July 11th 2009, and when I purchased it I was under the impression that it was the full most expensive version at the time. It could run not only as a stand alone program, but also as a plugin in Digital Performer.
There are so many verions of your software and wording is redundant and extremely misleading. For instance, I just paid $99.00 USD on January 15th 2016 to get the new version (Melodyne 4), but before I did that, I did my homework or so I thought, and I watched many of the videos and I decided to go ahead and upgrade. I installed the software and now I am sitting down to experiment and learn the new features. One of the things that intriqued me was the feature called "Sound Editor". Now I realize that there is yet another contradiction of terms in the cluttered product line that has plaqued Celemony since it's existance.

I do not have the features demonstrated in the videos for Melodyne 4. I am using Melodyne as a plugin in Digital Performer 9.02 on a Mac computer, and nowhere can I find the ability to use the sound editor feature. Not to be confused with my version which is evidently callled Melodyne Editor. I opended the stand alone version of Melodyne from my applications folder named "Melodyne" and imported a wav file to experiment, and again, no sound editor feature there either.
Am I correct that I have to spend more to have access to the features seen in the videos?
I already paid an upgrade fee and if I don't have these features, I don't see any immediate advantage to having paid this upgrade fee.

Thanks for yor patience with my unhappy tone.
I will await your response.
Very respectfully submitted,
Dan Kury

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

then Ulf at Celemony responded with this...

Thanks for the mail. You purchased the wrong upgrade.
I’m sure we can find a solution for this, but please be patient for a little bit. I will check this with our sales department to see what way this could be solved in this case.
I wrote down your Ticket number and we will get back to you as soon as this can be discussed with sales. If you don’t hear back from be before mid of next week after NAMM, please step on my toes and send your invoice PDF with the update with this next email as well.

In the meantime you can activate the 30 days trial period for “Melodyne studio”.

Best wishes,
Ulf Kaiser

to which I replied, thank you, then just the other day I received this email ...

Hello Dan,
there will be a newsletter for all of you soon.
With best wishes,
Ulf Kaiser

I don't know what Ulf meant by "all of you" maybe they are finally going to address this very confusing product line.

Just thought you guys would like to know they are working on it.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

$99 was the charge to upgrade to Melodyne Editor 4. The upgrade to Melodyne Studio, which has the sound editor is $149. I agree that if you are going to upgrade, it should be to Studio. Upgrading to Editor 4 from an earlier version of Editor doesn't seem worth $99.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I did the upgrade to Studio. So far, I'm happy with the features (so far). Some of the GUI feels a little "busy", but the more I get into it the more it makes sense. I've always enjoyed the plugin version, but somehow it has never been at the expense of DP's pitch editing features. Melodyne is a different kettle of fish (for me). I really like it.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52