Bowie

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bowie

Post by Michael Canavan »

Surprised there isn't a thread yet? Yes, every social media online experience you participate will be flooded with David Bowie for days now, but he's one a of a few left of a certain level of musician frontmen who aren't just pretty boys fronting other peoples songs. I suppose it feels to me like what it must have felt for out grandparents to lose Sinatra.
My stepfather was a huge fan, that and a mutual interest in horror films is what we had in common. His 70's era work is still pretty interesting stuff IMO.

There's something amazingly cool about knowing your time is up and still working on and releasing a record two months before your death. Says a lot about how committed he was to music in general.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Bowie

Post by James Steele »

This was a video from his last album. Somewhat mesmerizing given the timing.

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Yeah apparently he's known for quite some time that the cancer he had was incurable, and did all that as a tribute. He bookended his career. Whether you respect his art or not you have to respect the sentiment. I felt the same way about Johnny Cash and his amazing cover of Hurt he did in tribute to his wife.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

BOWIE DIES at 69

Post by HCMarkus »

Somehow, I expected it. RIP under the serious moonlight.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

My bandleader sent me an email after midnight last night, and I could only find two-paragraph items from better news sources and extremely offensive longer pre-prepared faux obituaries (not edited yet) from sources like BBC and New York Times, so didn't post anything, hoping there'd be better eulogies today.

Bowie was my ultimate rock hero, and my biggest influence. I'm devastated, but DID expect it based on vague reports over the past few years. Still, the timing came as a shock, on the heels of his new album (which I haven't heard yet, but look forward to, as he is backed by a jazz combo this time around). It's clear from some of the posted lyrics that he knew he was dying, and apparently (unlike George Harrison, whose son had to finish his final album) he cut it off at seven songs once he saw he wouldn't be able to go further. So, he finished what he could vs. a longer unfinished album.

Today was quite busy at work and I just got home, so I haven't checked news for updates yet. My guess was going to be lung cancer, from smoking. I think that was what did Harrison in as well, but can't recall for sure. A very painful way to go, and very sad. Bowie probably touched more musicians' lives than almost anybody out there, due to always mixing it up with each album and trying new things, different styles, etc.

They're even paying him tribute on the classical station tonight, playing the Philip Glass orchestrations of material from his Berlin days with Brian Eno et al.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I think that Jack Black may have put it best:

"If David Bowie (could) make being David Bowie cool, you can make being you cool. PLUS, unlike David Bowie, you get to listen to David Bowie for inspiration. . . .”

This live performance of Heroes from 1977 makes my all-time list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYjBQKIOb-w

Mike
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

"Heroes" is one of those songs, like Peter Gabriel's Biko, that makes me cry every time I hear it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Martini Hill

David Bowie

Post by Martini Hill »

Hello fellow MN friends! This is a post/clip of one of my tunes. I thought that I would share here as it was produced a few years back in DP! Peace~Jeff

The underlying subject of mortality (my own, as well as loved ones) often eventually finds it's way into my writing/compositions. It's an almost subliminal recurring thread that somehow weaves it's own way in.

Perhaps it stems from losing a mother at a young age. Perhaps not.

If only artistically, it has always seemed to me, an admirable, if not enviable concept, to "bookend" ones own life, career and legacy.

I am still digesting the recent passing/transition of David Bowie and it seems as if, artistically, he has done just that.

Brilliant.

I may not have understood every musical direction that he took but, I instinctively knew it was good, original and challenging…if not provocative.

For the most part, I was comforted that he, as an artist, was ever showing endless open minded ways in which to view the world...as well as all of us little creatures that inhabit. Tolerance. This, to me, was his genius.

Today, I feel it fitting to dedicate one my own creations to you David Bowie.

As ever, born to wander, Cradle 2 Grave, may you rest in peace…..although I suspect that you probably won't.

Jeffrey Hanaford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJR66luz-OQ
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Obviously very late, but just wanted to mention that David's parting has been the only celebrity one so far that's made me cry.

I was amazed that when George Duke died a couple o' years ago I didn't fall to pieces as he's been my fave "fusion" and funk musician for 30 years. I thought that one, which I had dreaded for a long time due to the physical signs I'd noticed during his later years, would surely push me over the edge... but it didn't.

Too much to say about David, but I thought I'd share this anomalous experience as I think it says it all, really.

RIP, mate.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here