DPX feature requests (yes I know...)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DPX feature requests (yes I know...)

Post by Michael Canavan »

So DP9 is still relatively new. We have plenty of time to pitch, beg and whine for our favorite "missing" features in DP. Yes emailing MOTU is the real thing to do here, and I plan on it. Please do so yourself.
http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions
Of course if you expect any results maybe don't make it as long as this post! :oops: Since we are all opinionated and prone to long lists, let's keep it under 10! PS- I think can all agree that stability is on everyones list! Here's mine in no particular order:

1. Improved time and pitch editing of audio. - DP's versions of these are among the first in any DAW, and now it shows, Live, Logic, Studio One etc. have better sounding more intuitive solutions. DP could lead the pack if it incorporated it's new spectrogram view into surgically editing audio like Izotope RX etc. and for time stretching I think Live and it's UI experience is a good indicator of where to go.

2. The ability to constrain MIDI to a certain note range per track. - This is one of those oddball missing features like MIDI mute notes that every other DAW has, but not DP... Sometimes I want to play Kontakt on the lower half of a controller and Diva on the upper half, DP can't do that, all the other DAWs can.

3. MIDI region editing.- My feeling is this would be best handled by the Tracks Overview. The TO already has parsed MIDI regions, set by DP, and not often that useful for selecting and editing blocks of MIDI data. The ability to cut, copy glue etc. The parsing of MIDI data, or a more object oriented approach would vastly improve DP's workflow for some of us and make a lot more sense to people coming from other DAWs. If this was happening in the Sequence Editor it would be nice too, (although it would be nice to be able to turn it off there for various reasons if you want), but please let us not have it in the MIDI editor! <-least favorite thing about Live etc. is having to select the adjacent MIDI region to edit...

4. Bounce improvements.- As in bounce all tracks to separate audio files, bounce selected tracks to separate audio files (think bouncing stems), and finally bounce in place, to print instruments, changes and FX etc. to an audio file. Plus, there's no reason all these along with freeze! couldn't work in double time if no hardware is involved like other DAWs can!

5. Lets' talk GUI.- I love the GUI in general in DP, I think it's far more elegant than the rest, but if fonts could be increased in other areas besides the Tracks Overview, if you could turn off or at least dim the huge yellow line made by markers that slices through everything in the sequence windows, if the MIDI data, specifically velocity, wasn't so freaking tiny, if the Tracks Overview parsed regions wouldn't at certain zoom setting jump over the actual area they're in looking like there's data at beat one of the next bar that would be great.

6. Less dropouts when editing data while the sequence is running. Yes, they all do this, even Live, but DP does it a lot more than the others, just a bit of improvement is all I'm asking.

7. VCA Faders- so this is a new feature in some DAWs from what I understand for turning down all faders at once and having the relative loudness of the tracks match more correctly than the way it works now. Sounds great, I'm always turning down all tracks in the songwriting process and having to remix afterwards.

8. A slight variation on the project saving as it stands.- In Live you open a blank project and you're not asked to save it. This is far more useful than you can think. Even though I'm writing almost 100% in DP these days, I always register, and demo plug ins in Live, because DP asks me to save a Project.. This is true with the Templates as well, IMO DP should work like this, if it's a template DP stores the information in a temporary file until the save or save as is hit. This allows the end users to open DP mess around, then discard the entire thing. Every once in a while I go through and delete bad project starts from my DP folder, and it's annoying how often I don't do it at the time of creation. Bottom line is it's just much much easier to audition, mess around, and in general open up Live because of the way it handles saving a new project.

9. UI improvements. Little obvious things that other DAWs implement well, things that improve the overall experience. We IMO got a huge batch of them in DP7, and a few more would be the icing on the cake. Things like playing a note on the keyboard and having that subsequent note on the piano roll keyboard indicate you're playing that note. Clicking the on screen keyboard sounds the note and the key itself looks 'pressed', but this does not work in reverse. In the Event list scrolling the value of a MIDI event does not have an effect on that event until after you let go of the vumber. In other DAWs this all takes place in real time, you shorten a note, you see it getting smaller on screen and hear it if the part is being looped.

10. Absolute grid.- For some reason MOTU left out the ability to snap MIDI to the grid, all moves are relative. There are times when one wants the data to start 100% at 1|1|00 for example, or for quick quantization fixes etc. (thanks for the reminder Robert Randolph!)

I know this isn't a possibility since it's MOTU's decision on how they attract new users etc. but I don't think new embedded FX are needed. I have over the years collected an arsenal of VSTs and they're amazing, MOTU IMO at most could use a good built in sampler that converts all convertible formats, but beyond that, third party VSTs are great.

Let me say that although this seems like a 'damming list, the truth is there are dozens of reasons why DP is my choice over other DAWs, and obviously I sure wouldn't expect my needs to be the same as others. This is obviously for fun, future tripping, and general chat.
Last edited by Michael Canavan on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Re: DPX feature requests (yes I know...)

Post by stubbsonic »

I completely agree on #1, #5, #7 and #9.

Along with #2, I'd like to see a few more MIDI plugin processes, and an expansion of the MIDI automation features.. Some MIDI plug-ins really could be implemented in ways that could help route MIDI data both in playback and perhaps even as a recording pre-process.

With MIDI, I'd also like to see a change to the bundles window so that you could route MIDI inputs and outputs in bundles the same way you do with audio. This could make it so that if you move a project to another computer, and all of your routing is lost, you take the tracks that are already connected to a lost device or VI, and just substitute another. I've got a quick workaround now, so it's not critical, it would just be more elegant.

Fix Tap Tempo, and make the "T" markings in the Conductor Graphic Editor larger and easier to grab.

Add a tempo processor to "smooth" tempos. Say I tap in a tempo to match some audio track. I'd like to be able to smooth out the tempo map using some kind of averaging... BUT, perhaps there could be a way that calculates the duration of the current selection range and preserves that length as it averages and smooths out the tempo events.

I wonder if there couldn't be some kind of expansion of sidechaining, sidechain processing, and look-ahead that could make some of the processors do some new and useful things.

Add finer resolution to the MIX parameter in the delay plugin.

And, as I've said MANY times before: add a preference to keep ALL lasso selections off-grid regardless of the grid on/off setting! :deadhorse:
Last edited by stubbsonic on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

ABSOLUTE GRID.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The relative grid mode in DP still annoys me to no end. It really does.

Non-realtime freeze would be great too.

#1, #4, #7 from the OP are also important to me.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

#1 is #1 with me. THE Glaring Issue, IMHO. :boohoo:
Michael Canavan

Robert Randolph wrote:ABSOLUTE GRID.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The relative grid mode in DP still annoys me to no end. It really does.

Non-realtime freeze would be great too.

#1, #4, #7 from the OP are also important to me.
I knew I would forget one of the main missing features MIDI wise, from other DAWs. :banghead:
#10 now, again no real order.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

As we've hashed out before, PLEASE, if Absolute Grid is added, make it an option that can be turned OFF. I would NEVER use it. But I can sympathize that some might prefer it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

HCMarkus wrote:#1 is #1 with me. THE Glaring Issue, IMHO. :boohoo:
Quoting myself, 'cause I want to point out that top notch pitch shifting and time scaling would make upgrading DP a no-brainer for me. As things otherwise stand, I am very contented with DP8.07 (and Mountain Lion… call me a Luddite as you Google frantically searching for solutions to lofty issues Capitan. :lol: )
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Here's what I'd like to see (and pay for) in DPX:
true instrument tracks which both host the MIDI and the vi - almost every other daw has it and at the same time allows the old-school way of separate MIDI and vi hosting tracks

global grid mode change but also at the same time leave the individual choices for each window intact as well

the ability to assign plugins across all tracks or all selected tracks in the same slot all at once

the ability to do a 'select all unused tracks' and delete them

track notes - we now have session notes but I'd like to see a field for each track where one could enter specific notes for that track; make it hideable if you don't want to see it all the time - maybe put a little indicator to show there are notes for that track and when you hover over the indicator or click on it it shows the notes

the ability to have multiple vertical columns in the sidebars instead of just the one we have now; and/or the ability to move the existing two sidebars to the same side of the main part of the consolidated window

Note that no where do I advocate getting rid of what's in DP now (unless it can't be done because of the programming) but adding on to the feature set.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Some thoughts on these suggestions:
musicman691 wrote:Here's what I'd like to see (and pay for) in DPX:
true instrument tracks which both host the MIDI and the vi - almost every other daw has it and at the same time allows the old-school way of separate MIDI and vi hosting tracks
What if you are using a multi timbal VI addressed by multiple MIDI tracks and channels with multiple audio outputs?
global grid mode change but also at the same time leave the individual choices for each window intact as well

the ability to assign plugins across all tracks or all selected tracks in the same slot all at once
What happens if there is already a plugin assigned to that slot in a track?
Can the selection be done with the search command?
track notes - we now have session notes but I'd like to see a field for each track where one could enter specific notes for that track; make it hideable if you don't want to see it all the time - maybe put a little indicator to show there are notes for that track and when you hover over the indicator or click on it it shows the notes
I use track comments for this. They are accessible from various places in DP. I especially like using the Track Inspector and keeping it visible in the side bar or popped out of the CW. You can hide the column in the TO if you wish. As far as hovering and any pop up appearing, it would interfere too much with my workflow.
the ability to have multiple vertical columns in the sidebars instead of just the one we have now; and/or the ability to move the existing two sidebars to the same side of the main part of the consolidated window

Note that no where do I advocate getting rid of what's in DP now (unless it can't be done because of the programming) but adding on to the feature set.
I'll add one of my own: adjustable font size. On hi res monitors, text is hard to read it,s so small.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Make MIDI takes work like AUDIO takes, especially when (non-stop) cycle recording. AUDIO will automatically create a take for each cycle, MIDI merges each cycle into 1 take.
Add MIDI comp'ing just like AUDIO works today.
And as stated by others, create MIDI regions in the sequence editor just like AUDIO. Each recording, punch-in, etc., should be a new region (aka soundbite), just like AUDIO. And you should be able to move, copy, edge edit, snip, slip, etc., just like AUDIO.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

This list has my complete support, except for #5. Let's don't talk GUI. When GUI changes are made, it sets me back. When radical GUI changes are made, it screws things up as well as sets me back. It takes years to get that worked out. We've gotten it worked out, though I still look in the wrong place for some things that are still "muscle memory" from years and years of earlier GUIs. If the fonts are too small, maybe MOTU can make those more optional. But PLEASE leave the GUI alone. Give us another 5 years before you screw around with the GUI, and never depart radically from what's there.

Aside from that, I 100% believe in this list. Mark, you've really made this clear and concise. No pie-in-the-sky stuff, just really solid productivity gains.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:This list has my complete support, except for #5. Let's don't talk GUI. When GUI changes are made, it sets me back. When radical GUI changes are made, it screws things up as well as sets me back. It takes years to get that worked out. We've gotten it worked out, though I still look in the wrong place for some things that are still "muscle memory" from years and years of earlier GUIs. If the fonts are too small, maybe MOTU can make those more optional. But PLEASE leave the GUI alone. Give us another 5 years before you screw around with the GUI, and never depart radically from what's there.

Aside from that, I 100% believe in this list. Mark, you've really made this clear and concise. No pie-in-the-sky stuff, just really solid productivity gains.

Shooshie
++
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Michael Canavan

Shooshie wrote:This list has my complete support, except for #5. Let's don't talk GUI. When GUI changes are made, it sets me back. When radical GUI changes are made, it screws things up as well as sets me back. It takes years to get that worked out. We've gotten it worked out, though I still look in the wrong place for some things that are still "muscle memory" from years and years of earlier GUIs. If the fonts are too small, maybe MOTU can make those more optional. But PLEASE leave the GUI alone. Give us another 5 years before you screw around with the GUI, and never depart radically from what's there.

Shooshie
Actually I think we're on the same page here, mostly I'm talking about fonts, the velocity V's in Points is an issue to almost everyone as well. Not at all talking about changing foundational stuff, just things that should never be. For unless it's a bug on my system, in every iteration of DP there is a bug where audio and MIDI data visibly overlaps the actual end of data into the next measure etc. at certain zoom levels in the Tracks overview. In the TO with darker themes the bright yellow lines running through the TO and Sequence Editor that Markers make become a distraction instead of a helpful feature. In Logic (I know I know!) in the MIDI editor at least in older version you could change the brightness and hue etc. of the lines for measures etc. I would love to be able to tone down the intensity of the Markers yellow, because as long as MIDI regions are parsed by the software and not us as end users the easiest way to grab whole sections for editing among other uses, is with Markers.

So no foundational changes, just usability changes to what is already there. That's the thing about being an established customer though, we wish for things that don't really sell to new customers, and IMO that's why MOTU and all other DAW companies spend as much R&D if not more, on new FX and other eye catching features as they do on things existing customers want.

I will say though that isn't going to be entirely true anymore now that DP has a 30 day demo. Users of other DAWs have a chance to check out DP and if a feature they deem is "absolutely necessary" like mute notes in 9 or if X got font editing etc. they have a chance to demo it and convert.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

frankf wrote:Some thoughts on these suggestions:
musicman691 wrote:Here's what I'd like to see (and pay for) in DPX:
What if you are using a multi timbal VI addressed by multiple MIDI tracks and channels with multiple audio outputs?

What happens if there is already a plugin assigned to that slot in a track?
Can the selection be done with the search command?
I use track comments for this. They are accessible from various places in DP. I especially like using the Track Inspector and keeping it visible in the side bar or popped out of the CW. You can hide the column in the TO if you wish. As far as hovering and any pop up appearing, it would interfere too much with my workflow.

I'll add one of my own: adjustable font size. On hi res monitors, text is hard to read it,s so small.

Frank Ferrucci
Case 1:
Then you also use separate MIDI tracks and separate audio tracks; what I'm proposing is in addition to what's already available in DP. Like I said - every daw that has true instrument tracks also has the ability to do things old-school.

Case 2:
Then you select another insert slot - it's that easy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:This list has my complete support, except for #5. Let's don't talk GUI.
Surely you don't object to having fonts large enough to read? When the Zoom was added to TO, the column headers could have been included in the objects that can be resized. Other windows in a list format with tiny headings could get the same treatment.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8