DPX feature requests (yes I know...)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DPX feature requests (yes I know...)

Post by Shooshie »

Basstrup wrote:
Shooshie wrote:If you work in OS X's Spaces, as I do, it's so fast to switch to any window, because the ones you use are always open. No problem to add a track in the place desired. Switch to the Tracks window, add the track, switch back. Too fast to be a problem.
Agreed OS X's Spaces is amazingly awesome. Question: Have you found a way for DP to remember which spaces to "send" windows to when opening a project? Or do you assign windows to spaces manually?

Best regards
Bo
No. I've talked to MOTU, and they said that Apple simply hasn't provided the hooks in OS X for that. No reason why they couldn't, just that they haven't, and like so many Apple features, once they get it to a reasonably working status, they often cease development on it. I've hoped for that for years.

However, there IS a very easy way to distribute the windows, which I demonstrated in the video below:
Using Mission Control in DP: In the video, I left out the part about making sure your control panel is in "floating" mode. That enables it to follow you from space to space.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Also, in response to Jack's wish to have an Add Track in the Mixing Board, I 2nd the motion. But I'd also like to have a way to select a track in the board, so that adding a track would put it where I want it. There are other good reasons to be able to select a track from the Mixing Board, though I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. I always swear that I'm going to write them down as I come across them, but then I'm always too busy to do that, so I don't, then I forget... So... MOTU... trust me; there's at least a good reason, maybe more, to be able to select a track from the Mixing Board. Maybe just a little check box at the top or something which responds to dragging over it, but out of the way of the typical drag so as to minimize accidental selection.

Then, using the menus or keyboard commands, we should be able to add a track easily. I don't know if it's necessary to actually put the "Add Track" in the Mixing Board menu, but why not? I mean, we do have the main menus, and we have keyboard commands, but redundancy isn't a bad thing if it's not in anyone's way. In the Mixing Board menu, it ought to be just fine. But let us select tracks from the Mixing Board. It could be used as another way to group tracks, too. But that's for another suggestion.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:
Also, in response to Jack's wish to have an Add Track in the Mixing Board, I 2nd the motion. But I'd also like to have a way to select a track in the board, so that adding a track would put it where I want it. There are other good reasons to be able to select a track from the Mixing Board, though I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. I always swear that I'm going to write them down as I come across them, but then I'm always too busy to do that, so I don't, then I forget... So... MOTU... trust me; there's at least a good reason, maybe more, to be able to select a track from the Mixing Board. Maybe just a little check box at the top or something which responds to dragging over it, but out of the way of the typical drag so as to minimize accidental selection.

Then, using the menus or keyboard commands, we should be able to add a track easily. I don't know if it's necessary to actually put the "Add Track" in the Mixing Board menu, but why not? I mean, we do have the main menus, and we have keyboard commands, but redundancy isn't a bad thing if it's not in anyone's way. In the Mixing Board menu, it ought to be just fine. But let us select tracks from the Mixing Board. It could be used as another way to group tracks, too. But that's for another suggestion.

Shooshie
You nailed it with excellent additions to the mixer's abilities. In the mixer I can see signal routing better than in any other screen and there are times I'd like to be able to add/delete/move tracks while I have the visual right in front of me and not lose focus when I go to another screen to do the add/move/delete business.
frankf

Post by frankf »

An observation that the Mixer Window is not an edit window in DP so "selecting" a track isn't an option. That said, I've wanted to select a track in the Mixer at times. So what would be the consequences if MOTU made the Mixer an Edit window? What operations could be or would you want to be available? Thinking out loud.

re: adding tracks from the Mixer: I use 2 screens with Consolidated Window in one and Mixer in the other, with Window Sets to change configurations. If I want to add a track while in the mixer, I activate the edit window open in the CW (TO or SE) and select the track or part of it next to which I want to add a track and use the key command for the type of track(s) I wish to add. the new track(s) is placed in the mixer where I want it. This takes all of 2 seconds. To make it easy I have the add track key commands memorized, as Shooshie pointed out plus the window activate commands to alternately activate the edit window in the CW and the Mixer window. The fact that this is so easy may be the reason the MOTU didn't add the add track command on the mixer track pull down. Still, I see that it could be useful to some to have it there.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

frankf wrote:An observation that the Mixer Window is not an edit window in DP so "selecting" a track isn't an option. That said, I've wanted to select a track in the Mixer at times. So what would be the consequences if MOTU made the Mixer an Edit window? What operations could be or would you want to be available? Thinking out loud.
I don't see how what I'm talking about would make the mixer window an edit window. You're not editing anything in the tracks (audio or MIDI). Mostly organizing things - that's all.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Something else I'd like to see in DPX - how about sidechain on the dynamics plugins? Also how about a mix control for parallel compression so one doesn't have to muck about with an extra aux track and the routing?
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

musicman691 wrote:Something else I'd like to see in DPX - how about sidechain on the dynamics plugins? Also how about a mix control for parallel compression so one doesn't have to muck about with an extra aux track and the routing?
It's been a while since I used MOTUs stock dynamics plugin, but doesn't it have a side chain? I'm almost positive. As for mix control, I used to feel that way, but the more I get into doing compression, the more I realize that every compressor is it's own instrument, so if they do a wet/dry control, they need to do it with ALL their compressors.

One neat little idea that I had, though, that would take care of what you're asking for, is have a "pedal board" plugin, of sorts, that could house any number of MAS/VST/AU plugins in one insert, and could (among other things) have a wet/dry mix. That way you could setup parallel compression with any first or third party plugin, and have wet/dry control. They've been so heavy on guitar pedal plugins for a while, it seems like an obvious next step.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Going back to usability, the new Create Tracks feature is cool, and incomplete.
We in my opinion should really be able to name them in the dialogue box right then and there.
Being able to add the track color would make this a nice all in one stop shopping experience. Also, being able to select Insert Setttings as FX is cool but it would be nice to be able to put a single VST/AU on a track without having to make an Instert Settings preset to do that in the Create Tracks window.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Prime Mover wrote:
musicman691 wrote:Something else I'd like to see in DPX - how about sidechain on the dynamics plugins? Also how about a mix control for parallel compression so one doesn't have to muck about with an extra aux track and the routing?
It's been a while since I used MOTUs stock dynamics plugin, but doesn't it have a side chain? I'm almost positive. As for mix control, I used to feel that way, but the more I get into doing compression, the more I realize that every compressor is it's own instrument, so if they do a wet/dry control, they need to do it with ALL their compressors.

One neat little idea that I had, though, that would take care of what you're asking for, is have a "pedal board" plugin, of sorts, that could house any number of MAS/VST/AU plugins in one insert, and could (among other things) have a wet/dry mix. That way you could setup parallel compression with any first or third party plugin, and have wet/dry control. They've been so heavy on guitar pedal plugins for a while, it seems like an obvious next step.
The bone stock compressor does have sidechain but none of the other dynamics type plugins do. That's why I used the word dynamics.

And as to your thought but I'd rather not use some kind of shell if at all possible to do what you're saying. That's no better than really than using an aux track and routing to do the job. My thought is to do it like plugins that do have built-in sidechain do - right on the plugin. Because, as you say, each compressor or other plugin is it's own instrument.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I always say the same things in these threads:

Vocoder
Some more mastering tools
More comprehensive VI suite
De-noiser and de-clicker plugs
Mix knobs for all processing plugins (saving much space and routing-time)

... and... point-and-click-or-drag elastic audio. Nobody wants to have to edit hit-points and jump through hoops unless it's absolutely necessary, such as when an intelligent algorithm simply can't make sense of something. At all other times things should just be made to sync up and stretch / compress as necessary when they're placed in tracks or dragged from other sources. This is old tech by now, and IMHO it should be all but invisible.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Something I'd like to see is fader flip for the aux sends without having to go through a work-around to do so as talked about in another thread here.

What I'd like to see put back in is something that disappeared sometimes during DP8 and that is a one-button push to disable the consolidated window in preferences like used to be there.
johannes2510
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by johannes2510 »

Ok my dream it's to have a real professional score editor directly into Digital Performer, like Finale or Sibelius (no less on quality and functionality) and I was thinking tht's a normal tool for a composer that must create real scores and parts at the end of it's work.
Beside non cuncurrential wishes I don't understand why that it's not done by the most popular DAWs, for me only Logic approach at this level but Finale and Sibelius still are another story.

Anyway, I work most of the time with quickscribe editor (old school) and finalize my work exporting into Finale.
But often I need to do some decent mockups so I need to trake care at MIDI velocities and other MIDI stuff like moodweel etc.

I have seen that in the score editor of Cubase and Pro Tools there are two funcion that for me are a dream:

1) You can choose the view of the score in a timeline, like the MIDI editors or like the Scroll view in Finale (Panorama I think is the name in Sibelius).

2) And you can split the window so you can have the MIDI stuff in the bottom part. Very useful because I am constantly changhe window between Quickscribe and MIDI editor and I must change very often the instrument for make it active in the two windows, for make changes of notes and MIDI stuffs.

Pro tools let you open multiple "strips" and choose wath MIDI parameter must show in each. The dream in the dream.

I don't want learn another DAW and DP have some tings, like chunks that are brillant, tha for me are the best.

So Motu... copy!

Pro Tools with score, velocities and audio volume all in one window:

PS

And please MOTU... make bigger the top of velocities lines !!!
DP 10.01
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Have you ever checked out the Notation Window? I really wish MOTU would expand on it, however.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
johannes2510
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by johannes2510 »

Have you ever checked out the Notation Window?
!!! If I am not wrong, this exist before quickscribe editor...and I never really use :)

One grand staff at time no matter wich instrument you want display, very bad graphic, the two staves are too close and I think there is only orizhontal zoom...

Thanks for remind me, I have totally forgot this, but it's not user frendly at all.

I don't understand why MOTU don't improve notation/quickscribe editor, I am not an expert of programming but I immagine that is not very hard to do...

I found an old thread on Motunation about notation editor:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=20697
DP 10.01
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MOTU more or less told us their position on this with the recent update that included XML export with which they have made it easy to use a 3rd party notation application.

We'll soon see just how much more CPU efficient DP becomes with the next update, but I suspect that will be of more interest to those who make a living at composing, than improvements to DP's notation, something already well covered by others.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

HCMarkus wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:#1 is #1 with me. THE Glaring Issue, IMHO. :boohoo:
Quoting myself, 'cause I want to point out that top notch pitch shifting and time scaling would make upgrading DP a no-brainer for me. As things otherwise stand, I am very contented with DP8.07 (and Mountain Lion… call me a Luddite as you Google frantically searching for solutions to lofty issues Capitan. :lol: )
So DP9.5 feeds the beast with new time scaling etc. :headbang:

Bumping this old thread because IMHO DPX is right around the corner, MOTU typically announce new versions at winter NAMM, and it will have been about three years since the announcement of DP9 in January of 2015 and subsequent release in June of that same year!

One thing not mentioned I hope DPX also includes is MPE ( Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression ) support. At this point there are just a handful of devices that do this, but it's pretty interesting stuff, and worth supporting for sure.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.