Thanks for the thoughts (storms in Texas, NM, OK, etc.)

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Thanks for the thoughts (storms in Texas, NM, OK, etc.)

Post by Shooshie »

Starting another thread rather than hijacking Fernando's, from which this came.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Hope you're well Shooshie. I was worried about you after the tornado stuff in Dallas yesterday.
Thank you. Eleven of our fellow Dallasites weren't so lucky, but we made it. We were in line for the northbound tornado that turned killer, but it hit Cedar Hill first — the highest point in the county — and "bounced" over us, landing just on the other side of us where it did so much damage in Garland. Because of much experience with this stuff, I was able to predict that behavior, and we didn't even pack our bags to run to the shelter, but that was a small consolation once it began battering neighborhoods to the north of us.

Two of the 7 or more Dallas twisters had wind speeds of over 200 mph. EF-4s they were. We monitor these things closely on our iPads and iPhones using a state of the art app called Storm. It was formerly Intellicast HD. I was calling out the weather events minutes before the guys doing the live TV weather cast, 100% of the time. I mention this, because "Storm" is an app that every iOS user simply must have. If you don't have it, download it and pay to get rid of the adds. (it's not expensive) This is an app that saves lives. It even shows locations of earthquakes and wildfires.

In this age of crazy weather changes, not to have Storm on your iOS device is about as smart as climbing Everest without a parka, or traveling cross-country without a maps, GPS, or Siri.

Well, it's starting up again. I've got to get back to Storm and see where we're headed, weatherwise.

Thanks again for your concern,
Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Thanks for the thoughts (storms in Texas, NM, OK, etc.)

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Whoa!

Thanks for the tip, I'll grab that app. We had a bunch of fires here over the past few days. I drove up to Santa Barbara today and drove past the one on the 101. It was out for the most part, but you could see the devastation. There was also a 4.3 or so earthquake further south and we are expecting a fairly strong El Nino, so the app will definitely come in handy. My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones and family disruptions. Very glad you'er safe. I mean, if Frodo does't pay for dinner, who will?

Bestissimo,

mm
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

This was absolutely terrifying,I'm glad you and yours are OK,the power of destruction and devastation a storm like this can produce is hard to imagine.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Whoa!

Thanks for the tip, I'll grab that app. We had a bunch of fires here over the past few days. I drove up to Santa Barbara today and drove past the one on the 101. It was out for the most part, but you could see the devastation. There was also a 4.3 or so earthquake further south and we are expecting a fairly strong El Nino, so the app will definitely come in handy. My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones and family disruptions. Very glad you'er safe. I mean, if Frodo does't pay for dinner, who will?

Bestissimo,

mm
I think that I spoke incorrectly about it displaying fires; at least, I couldn't find anything about it in the help section. Maybe it was Intellicast HD that did that. I don't remember now. But it does show the warnings, and it also shows surface winds. Little dots racing across your screen, following the curvature and eddies of ground winds, and colored for temperature, switchable to Jet Stream. You can tell pretty easily where a fire will go with the winds being displayed like this. Plus, it does show epicenters of earthquakes, and their strength and time. (We get a lot of small quakes here and in northern Oklahoma, up to about 4.5 on the scale.)

Just get the app. Someday it'll save your life, and you will thank the people who wrote it.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I bought it yesterday and I'm also my monitoring my mom's house on Long Island. They get more warnings than we do, but I'm getting fried warnings as well here in LA. Frost!? :shock:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Note that you can turn on/off hazard warnings in the Settings page. Also, there are layers and overlays. It can run as many overlays as you want, but the primary layers — radar, satellite, combos, global temperature, etc. — can only function one at a time. They have combination radar/satellite so you can see both in the animation. Generally, more than one of those wouldn't work, since they are the base data coverage of the map.

You can drag six layer/overlays to the little short-cut buttons on the right side. I keep surface winds, radar, satellite, local weather stations, tornado warnings, and storm tracks in my shortcuts. I wish it had about 5 more, inconspicuously in another part of the display, but currently 6 is the shortcut limit. You can always click on the "stack" at the bottom of that list of buttons, and open as many non-primary layers as you want. For example, I like having a lot of overlays, watches, and warnings open when the weather gets severe.

You will figure out more and more of it as you go, but I think you can trust it.

Shooshie
MIDI Life Crisis

It's a way cool app. Especially when it's in the mid 30's in So Cal!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Way cool! Do you have earthquakes turned on? It reports them within 3 to 5 minutes, i've found, and of course you don't need an app to tell you you've just had a quake, but it DOES show you the epicenter and strength, and that's pretty important information.

Animations are cool. The clouds will animate 6 hours. Radar will go back 2 hours, I think. You can get a global animation for clouds, which is a lot more informative than just a small region. Shows you what's really happening, and all of a sudden the "butterfly effect" seems very real. (It's a side effect of Chaos Theory, and the most famous mention of it was in Jurassic Park when Jeff Goldblum tells Laura Dern: "a butterfly flaps its wings in Peking, and you get rain in Central Park.) So, why doesn't this app have butterfly detectors? Huh? Huh?

:lol:

Shoosh