Beginning of the end for SSDs?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Beginning of the end for SSDs?

Post by Shooshie »

Research into SSDs, plus what's on the horizon.

The article makes one thing very clear. SSDs are a transitional technology. They aren't here to stay. What's coming next will blow your mind. Just might turn your PC into an intelligent being! (they don't say that; just me)

Very interesting stuff. I can't wait to see it all play out. I hope someday we can get all this stuff at spinner prices.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Gravity Jim

Re: Beginning of the end for SSDs?

Post by Gravity Jim »

All consumer technologies are transitional.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gravity Jim wrote:All consumer technologies are transitional.
What? You mean that the thousand$ I spent on SCSI I are wasted? Dang! (Migawd, that was 30 years ago)
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Even the universe is transitional. The key to understanding the significance of the word is context, which here is time. The SSD technology may be a dead-end street before it reaches maturity. What's replacing it is amazing, but there are architecture problems, apparently, that may not permit its integration with existing computers. Oh how sad for computer makers. They'll have to make all those computers yet again unless someone's adapter manages to work! (I guess they'll be buying out adapter technologies.) Maybe it's not that simple. I don't know but what I read in the article, and they were kind of sketchy on that point. 3DXPoint memory apparently isn't currently compatible. Nantero may be, but I couldn't grasp that from the article.

Interesting that they're acting like SSD architecture can't be fixed. I wonder if that's the truth. There's always another story. Still, the stuff coming down the pike does look amazing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|