DP9 Tuition wanted

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
inkywriter
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP9 Tuition wanted

Post by inkywriter »

Hello all

I'm a classically trained pianist/ teacher/ composer who's comfortable with scoring using Sibelius, and have recently started using DP 9 with a view to writing music for film/TV.

However, despite spending a chunk of time trying to teach myself DP using the online help, forums (thanks again to those who've responded on here!), web tutorials etc, I'm finding the learning curve too steep & frustrating and am not making the progress I'd like.

I feel like I know what I'm trying to achieve, but just can't seem to translate that into the technical options & terms used in DP. Whilst I have managed to get to grips with Sibelius (since it's a software aid to writing a score, which I already do manually) I haven't had the same success with DP, as I don't come from that kind of background.

I have considered classroom training courses but feel they might go too fast for me in some areas, and might also attempt to cover every/too many aspects of DP which I don't need (or at least not yet).

What I'd really like is someone to provide 1:1 tuition, ideally in my home with my setup (Windows 7, i7 5820K CPU, 32Gb RAM, Focusrite Scarlett USB2 2i4, Yamaha P155 keyboard, VSL Instruments), specifically focussed around the tasks that I'm trying to perform, but also providing insight into how DP "thinks". Naturally there would be payment.

I'm based in North Oxfordshire (Bicester/ Banbury area) in the UK.

If you might be able to help (or can suggest someone) please get in touch.

Many thanks
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 Tuition wanted

Post by Gravity Jim »

Groove3 offers an excellent set of tutorial videos for DP8 and a new one covering new features in DP9. This would get you up to speed quickly.

https://www.groove3.com
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Gravity Jim wrote:Groove3 offers an excellent set of tutorial videos for DP8 and a new one covering new features in DP9. This would get you up to speed quickly.

https://www.groove3.com
+1
Great tutorials-

Also, have you considered lessons via Skype? With screen sharing, it´s almost as if your tutor was there with you, and you don´t restrict yourself to finding someone in your area (DP is not the most popular DAW in Europe).

Are you having trouble with something in particular? What is it you´re trying to learn to do, exactly?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
inkywriter

Post by inkywriter »

Hi - thank you both for your suggestion. I have bought Groove 3 and probably need to persevere with it. The idea of Skype could work well I think. It's difficult to say exactly what I'm stuck on as I feel I'm still getting to grips with basics of looping, synching film clip, making dynamic contrasts work successfully, how to use Quickscribe, editing e.g. snipping. And...! Thanks again.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Groove3 has 2 different DP tutorials. A beginner and an advanced one.
If you get both, I trust they should get you well on your way to understanding DP to a very competent level.

Also, don´t forget MOTU´s own tutorials in their YouTube channel. They have dozens of them, including Film Scoring tips! Short and to the point.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
inkywriter

Post by inkywriter »

Thanks FMiguelez. I have found the YouTube Motu videos and they're good. I probably need to just keep at it! Thanks again.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

You deserve credit, inky, IMHO, for going against the grain, or indeed the tide of Logic madness that appears to have gripped the UK and much of the EU over the last 10 or 12 years.

For some reason that region seems to have glossed over or completely ignored DP. This isn't the case in Japan from what I can tell, but unfortunately Aus (where I am) is a PT / Live / Logic zone and we Unicorns are few and far between.

It's everyone else's loss, of course! Hang in there mate. You'll get it happening. DP will bend and sway to accommodate the way you want to work in ways that will surprise you the more you learn.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
inkywriter

Post by inkywriter »

Thanks for encouragement... I like the concept of going against the grain...and look forward to it being more than a concept! It's good to know others as yourself who are making it work. I shall hang in albeit by short fingernails...well that's how it currently feels!