So It's Not Brubeck And Desmond And Morello...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
rentadrummer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

So It's Not Brubeck And Desmond And Morello...

Post by rentadrummer »

But I still thought this was pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO_tC99prRs
Ron
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: So It's Not Brubeck And Desmond And Morello...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Very cool, indeed! Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

:D
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
frankf

Post by frankf »

Nice!
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've never been a big Wynton Marsalis fan, but I must say, that was very cool!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, that was pretty nice. Unusual, to say the least.

I like Wynton, but I feel for his awkward position in the world of New Orleans jazz. There's a certain paradox that exists around him, and I just find it ironic to hear him say "now THIS is the authentic stuff," or something to that effect. I catch him now and then on Serius XM satellite radio in the car, where I'm usually tuned to the jazz stations, or classical, Sinatra, or Willie's Roadhouse (Willie Nelson's channel, where you can sometimes catch Riders in the Sky). Anyway, when I catch Wynton's show, he always seems intent on recreating the "authentic experience" of Basin Street or Preservation Hall.

You may have to work with me here, because I've never tried to put this into words, but it seems that A) Wynton is the least authentic part of the mix, being that he is a wealthy, super-educated, successful classical musician as well as a first-rate jazz player. And B) anything that involves explaining, narrating, and announcing "this is the authentic stuff," is simply not the authentic stuff, but a recreation of it. Not that I don't enjoy it! But I am often thinking about more than a few drunken sprees in the French Quarter over the years, in which the music I remember was barely in tune, played without narration or fanfare other than "the next tune is one y'all know..." and totally captivating! If Wynton wants to create an authentic experience, he should have someone in the crowd record him sitting in at Preservation Hall, without any narration, opinions, or anything but music.

That's not likely. Wynton can do so much more for the jazz community by broadcasting these shows with his narration, bringing in money and exposure for the musicians of N.O. Just forget about "authentic." What's authentic is whatever is happening at this moment!

In spite of the irony of his almost tragically paradoxical position in which his talent, fame, and fortune (if not family dynasty) have trapped him, I still have the highest admiration for Mr. Marsalis, the musician.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If Wynton wants to create an authentic experience, he should have someone in the crowd record him sitting in at Preservation Hall, without any narration, opinions, or anything but music.
Where the sign reads:

Requests $1. Specials $2. Saints $10
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:I like Wynton, but...
Well, I must confess that my opinion is influenced by personal feelings. He was the colleague of a close friend of mine and hasn't treated my friend very professionally. I'm embarrassed to admit that this can sometimes influence my listening experience. :oops:

...but I DID enjoy the rendition of Take Five.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.