What's you preferred CD package?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What's you preferred CD package?

Post by Henry Robinett »

I'm releasing another CD. Back in the day you only had one choice - jewel case. Bulky. But now there's digipaks, sleeves, jackets, etc.. It seems to me the only real PRO package is still the jewel case. Am I right? I want this to be professional and not cheap and cheesy. That might just be my POV on this. But I don't really know any more. That's why I'm asking.

Why even release it on CD?

I need it to promote to jazz radio. I need some to sell at gigs and other sources. Yes, I will probably also sell digital download cards, or whatever they're called.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Gravity Jim

Re: What's you preferred CD package?

Post by Gravity Jim »

Henry Robinett wrote:I'm releasing another CD. Back in the day you only had one choice - jewel case. Bulky. But now there's digipaks, sleeves, jackets, etc.. It seems to me the only real PRO package is still the jewel case. Am I right? I want this to be professional and not cheap and cheesy. That might just be my POV on this. But I don't really know any more. That's why I'm asking.

Why even release it on CD?

I need it to promote to jazz radio. I need some to sell at gigs and other sources. Yes, I will probably also sell digital download cards, or whatever they're called.
Digipacks are the bomb, but the key to looking pro is really nice graphic design and a liquid laminated surface for shine. Sleeves are cool, too, if you're just selling them at gigs.

For your crowd (jazz fans), CDs are still a perfectly good choice. That audience will skew older, and they may not want the hassle of a download card (not me, but a lot of people my age still listen to music right off the disc on one of those horribly overpriced BOSE things).

Still, there's nothing wrong with jewel cases, and don't they tend to be the low cost solution?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Stupid question, but what do you mean by "download card?" I'm not quite sure but if this is desirable I'd love to know more.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I need some to sell at gigs and other sources
Bingo.

Jewel cases still work nicely and line up in your CD rack.

That said, Digipaks look really nice and point of sale appeal goes a long, long way – even at gigs. You can get them for under $1.50 including shipping from Diskmakers (1,000 4 panel).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

James Steele wrote:Stupid question, but what do you mean by "download card?" I'm not quite sure but if this is desirable I'd love to know more.
It's a plastic card with a code number printed on it that gets you a copy of the music via iTunes Store, Amazon, whatever. Like an iTunes gift card and redeemed in the same way. All the CD plants make them now, and I expect take care of the logistics at the online stores, too.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Jewel cases or Digipacks, either one is fine. As someone already stated, the key to the appeal is
great graphics. And booklet if possible.

CD's are something for fans who really really want to have a physical memento. Since they are
actually forking out some cash, I think it is the artist's responsibility to give them some value for
their money.

One more thing - be sure to put all the songs in your "live set" on the CD. Fans feel cheated if
your CD is just an "EP".
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

EP? All the songs in my live set? I'm not following the distinction.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Henry Robinett wrote:EP? All the songs in my live set? I'm not following the distinction.
I mean this - let's say you are selling CD's at one of your gigs. There are twelve songs in your live set and they are all your original songs. But your CD only features five songs - what most people would call an "EP" (Extended Play), which is just another term for "a CD with not very many songs on it".

Fans who buy your CD will want to hear ALL the songs you played. If one of the songs in your live set is not on your CD, and that particular song is one that the fans liked the most, they will feel cheated, and rightly so.

Perhaps your live show consists of playing all the songs on your CD so in that case there is nothing to be concerned about. And, if your music is instrumental jazz, then it is even less of an issue, I suppose.

My advice comes from a very recent experience I've had regarding a production deal I got for a country-pop artist I'm producing. The production company floated the suggestion that we release an EP (of five songs) first. I told them that's a bad idea, for two reasons...one, it costs the same amount of money to print and package a CD with 14 songs on it as it does to print and package a CD with five songs on it. Two, the fans at the shows will want to have all the songs they heard at the show on the CD. The production company agreed with me, btw.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

OK. I got it. But an EP doesn't indicate that it has or doesn't have songs from the live set. That what I was getting at. An EP could only have had songs from their live set. But I get what you mean. Kind of. :)
All the best,

Henry Robinett

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:
I need some to sell at gigs and other sources
Bingo.

Jewel cases still work nicely and line up in your CD rack.

That said, Digipaks look really nice and point of sale appeal goes a long, long way – even at gigs. You can get them for under $1.50 including shipping from Diskmakers (1,000 4 panel).
Everything Mike said.
Plenty of national act releases on Digipak variations these days- you won't be thought of as less professional with those IMO. I like Digipaks as I think good artwork pops visually as opposed to being behind a plastic thing that the tabs immediately break off of.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

I don't do enough in cd's to warrant going the digipak route as I just do cd's for individual clients and any mass production I let them take care of that. I will work with whatever house they choose to do the job though.

But for myself I prefer digipak or jewel cases for any disk whether cd or dvd. I hate sleeves because of the very real possibility of scratching the disk surface. Had it happen to often to the point it makes the disk unplayable on even the best of players. What I do when I get disks that are in sleeves I immediately put them into jewel cases. My only knock with some digipaks is they hold the disk in so tight I'm afraid of bending the disk to the point of cracking it when trying to get it free of the center hub.
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

musicman691 wrote:I don't do enough in cd's to warrant going the digipak route as I just do cd's for individual clients and any mass production I let them take care of that. I will work with whatever house they choose to do the job though.

But for myself I prefer digipak or jewel cases for any disk whether cd or dvd. I hate sleeves because of the very real possibility of scratching the disk surface. Had it happen to often to the point it makes the disk unplayable on even the best of players. What I do when I get disks that are in sleeves I immediately put them into jewel cases. My only knock with some digipaks is they hold the disk in so tight I'm afraid of bending the disk to the point of cracking it when trying to get it free of the center hub.
I tend to agree with this. I've decided to stick with my original decision and go with the jewel case. Yeah, they're a PITA in a sense. They crack and they're bulky, but they're standard and I'm used to them. I like the artwork/booklet slipping in and out of the front cover. Plus I tend to just load the disk into iTunes anyway. But that's me.
All the best,

Henry Robinett