I HATE CueMix

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: I HATE CueMix

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

James Steele wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:What's with the temp ads today?.
Are you using Tapatalk? I noticed there are sponsored ads appearing there. I gotta see what's going on with that and unless they want to cut me in on a piece of the action, shut that down. :)
Yeah, it's only on the newly released version (I d/l today). Frankly, saving the new posts link to my iPhone screen works great, and I can see people profiles as well as navigate to all forum features.

I get that they need to make money. We all do, but they baited us with a paid app that was ad free. Now it has ads, so it's off my phone for good now. And yes, you deserve a cut for the "free" advertisements! I mean, who is paying for your web space? Not them!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah. I see it. I'm pretty sure I can log into their site and opt out of this. It's annoying. I wouldn't ditch Tapatalk yet. They really have no right to piggy back on other people's sites without permission.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

And what hacks me
Is except for the little green box at the upper left that said AD it looks like a post and embeds itself in threads. Not cool.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Unless someone wants to brighten their teeth or boost their self confidence. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Re: I really like CueMix

Post by HCMarkus »

I don't futz with talkback; my monitor controller handles that for me fine, but for live sessions I find CueMix essential. My musicians don't want to hear "nearly" latency-free playback when live tracking, and CueMix is the answer.

Setting up DP's click to send to multiple outputs is essential; just route click to an aux track, then use sends to route to physical outputs. Or use a VI to deliver your click and route via sends.

For overdubs, I mix existing tracks to taste in DP, add the live player's input(s) in Cue Mix as required, and adjust the relative balance of tracks vs live by adjusting the DP/CueMix master faders (usually the DP master fader). Master phone level is handled by my monitor controller.

And setups can be recalled. I am using latest version of the software, albeit with older hardware (828mkII) and it works perfectly. Here's the blurb from the 828mk3 manual:
CONFIGURATIONS MENU
A configuration is just like a hardware preset (a “snapshot” of all settings in CueMix FX and therefore the 828mk3 hardware itself ), except that it can be created and managed using the CueMix FX software on your computer, completely independently of the 828mk3 hardware. The commands in the Configurations menu let you create, save, load, import, export and otherwise manage as many configurations as you wish.
I think saving/loading configs is the best way to go. Patches within configurations tend to be hit or miss.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

OK you got me.
what's a Taptalk?
Is that like a twitterbook or facepage or something?
No wonder I can understand Cuemix.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

wylie1 wrote:OK you got me.
what's a Taptalk?
Is that like a twitterbook or facepage or something?
No wonder I can understand Cuemix.
I gave up on it long ago:
Tapatalk - Forum, Blog and RSS Reader for Your Interests by Quoord Systems
https://appsto.re/us/CmEws.i
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

HCMarkus wrote:My musicians don't want to hear "nearly" latency-free playback when live tracking, and CueMix is the answer.
Apparently the other answer is a red-hot tracking computer. I'm really touchy about timing, but I can't hear any latency when tracking guitars and monitoring through the interface, and I don't use CueMix.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Gravity Jim wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:My musicians don't want to hear "nearly" latency-free playback when live tracking, and CueMix is the answer.
Apparently the other answer is a red-hot tracking computer. I'm really touchy about timing, but I can't hear any latency when tracking guitars and monitoring through the interface, and I don't use CueMix.
Jim, my Mac is the same speed as yours (with 1/2 the horsepower - single CPU), so I can track at a buffer of 128, or even 64. However, I notice that any latency causes me to push timing when recording VIs. I don't want to risk loss of groove when tracking live rhythm sections. CueMix is thus my preferred approach; I am assured my musicians hear what they play within about a millisecond of when they play it. Not saying other approaches aren't valid, and maybe I'm operating in a theoretical zone here, but I like the solid and unvarying timing a hardware mixer provides and my workflow and CueMix go together like peas and carrots.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I honestly don't have problems with CueMix, but that may be because I'm running a PCIe-based system and CueMix is more robust on that platform?

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:I honestly don't have problems with CueMix, but that may be because I'm running a PCIe-based system and CueMix is more robust on that platform?
Robust may not be the right word, but when they ceased development of the PCI version of CueMix, it worked very well. The PCI CueMix is easy for me to use.

The Firewire/USB version is not. I can get most things done after some contemplation, but if I don't have it set up before a session starts, forget about it. It's embarrassing how it just slows me down to absolute zero while I contemplate what possible steps to take. It should be a lot easier.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Like I said its just been working and been able to use the reverb from the 828 for tracking I just hope it doesn't fall apart when I upgrade to El Capitan.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.